Two blocks on inclined surface

In summary: Hence m× g sin theta/mg ≤ μsin theta ≤ μsin 37 degrees ≤ μ0.601 ≤ μTherefore, the minimum coefficient of friction needed for the small mass m to not slide with respect to the larger mass M is 0.75, as given in the correct answer.
gracy

Homework Statement

:[/B]
upload_2015-3-23_1-48-25.png

block M slides down on frictionless incline .Find the minimum co efficient of friction so that m does not slide with respect to M.

Homework Equations

:acceleration of the system=total driving force/total mass:
upload_2015-3-23_1-49-7.png

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

m does not slide with respect to M means there should not be kinetic friction rather static friction.both small and big block will have same acceleration.

acceleration of the system=total driving force/total mass:total driving force=(m+M)g sin theta

acceleration of the system=(m+M)g sin theta/m+M

=g sin theta
force responsible for acceleration of small block would be force of static friction between two blocks.

Hence force of static friction between two blocks=mass of small block i.e "m" multiplied by g sin theta

but this force of static friction between two blocks is also equal to or smaller than μ multiplied by normal force on small block i. mg

force of static friction ≤ μmg force of static friction/mg≤ μ

m× g sin theta= force of static friction

Hence m× g sin theta/mg ≤ μ

theta= 37 degrees

sin theta ≤ μ
sin 37 degrees ≤ μ
0.601 ≤ μ
but the correct answer should be 0.75 ≤ μ
where am I going wrong?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
force responsible for acceleration of small block would be force of static friction between two blocks.

There are other forces acting on the small block besides friction. What is the direction of the friction force acting on m?
Draw a good free body diagram for the small mass m.

You correctly obtained the acceleration of both masses, which is oriented in the same direction as the incline. Can you resolve this acceleration into components in the horizontal and vertical directions? These are the horizontal and vertical components of the acceleration of the smaller mass m. Once you know these, can you do force balances on m in the horizontal and vertical directions? What do you obtain?

Chet

I think my diagram was wrong.Here I have corrected myself.

upload_2015-3-23_7-19-13.png

I think my diagram was wrong.Here I have corrected myself.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-23_7-18-13.png
    upload_2015-3-23_7-18-13.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 565
will (m+M)g sin theta act on both the blocks?

Your diagram is still awful. I thought I understood your original diagram. I'm still trying to figure out how to draw figures with whiteboard that can have straight lines. Meanwhile, please see if you can answer my questions in post #3.

I still don't know from your figure whether θ = 37° is the angle of the incline with the horizontal, or with the vertical. I assumed it was with the horizontal.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Your diagram is still awful.
please point out my mistakes.
Chestermiller said:
θ = 37° is the angle of the incline with the horizontal, or with the vertica
θ = 37° is the angle of the incline with the horizontal

gracy said:

θ = 37° is the angle of the incline with the horizontal
OK. That's all I needed to know. So now, back to post #3.

Chet

Is not mass M also a block? If it is a wedge as it was drawn, what are its angles?

ehild said:
Is not mass M also a block

Mass M is also a block.Sorry for my poor drawing.

Is the set-up that shown in my figure?

twoblockswedge.jpg

gracy said:
I want to solve this as soon as I can.I don't have much time.I have a test tomorrow.

ehild said:
Is the set-up that shown in my figure?
Yes.Absolutely correct.

And is the problem text as you wrote? Is zero friction between M and the incline?

ehild said:
Is zero friction between M and the incline?
Yes.

Then is friction needed that m accelerate the same as M?

ehild said:
Then is friction needed that m accelerate the same as M?
Sorry.I did not understand.

What force acts on m along the incline? What acceration does it cause without friction?

ehild said:
What acceration does it cause without friction?
You mean excluding friction between the blocks what other forces are acting on m along the incline?

The two blocks have to move together, with the same acceleration. You have shown that the acceleration is gsin(37°).
If you suppose zero friction between the blocks, what would be the acceleration of block m?

Please tell me is my free body diagram correct in post 5?I don't think so.Please point out my mistakes in post 5.

ehild said:
If you suppose zero friction between the blocks, what would be the acceleration of block m
Zero,as I think that it is the only net force acting on block m.

gracy said:
Please tell me is my free body diagram correct in post 5?I don't think so.Please point out my mistakes in post 5.
It is correct for the blocks as a single system, when they move together. To get the force of friction necessary acting on m you need to draw separate FBD-s for both blocks.

gracy said:
Zero,as I think that it is the only net force acting on block m.
The net force acting on m along the incline is mgsin(37)-Friction. But you want m accelerate with a=gsin(37°), so you are right about the friction.

gracy said:
as I think that it is the only net force acting on block m.
I meant to say Friction is the only net force acting on block m.Excluding fiction net force is zero.

ehild said:
gracy said:
Zero,
meant to say Friction is the only net force acting on block m.
If you suppose zero friction between the blocks
Excluding fiction net force is zero.

gracy said:
meant to say Friction is the only net force acting on block m.Excluding fiction net force is zero.
You can not switch off gravity. Gravity and normal force act on block m anyway.

I think I have solved the problem.May I show you how would I get 0.75 as coefficient of friction between blocks?

gracy said:
I think I have solved the problem.May I show you how would I get 0.75 as coefficient of friction between blocks?
Show.

Give me 5 minutes,.

upload_2015-3-23_14-8-11.png

as mg sin theta is the net force friction opposes it.
m does not slide with respect to M means there should not be kinetic friction rather static friction.acceleration of the system=(m+M)g sin theta/m+M

=g sin theta

Hence force of static friction between two blocks= m× g sin theta

but Static
frictional force=≤ μ Normal force
But Normal force=mg cos theta
so,Static frictional force=≤ μ mg cos theta
m× g sin theta=≤ μ mg cos theta

mg cancels out
sin theta/ cos theta =≤ μ
tan theta =≤ μ
theta is 37 degrees
tan 37≤ μ
0.75 ≤μ

gracy said:
View attachment 80830
as mg sin theta is the net force friction opposes it.
m does not slide with respect to M means there should not be kinetic friction rather static friction.acceleration of the system=(m+M)g sin theta/m+M

=g sin theta

No this is not right. You can not switch of gravity. Gravity acts on block m, and its component is mgsin(theta) along the incline.
The acceleration of the block is determined by the sum of forces acting on it (in the direction of the incline). That sum is mgsin(theta)-friction.
So ma= mgsin(theta) -friction.
But you determined that the acceleration of both blocks is a=gsin(theta). Plug in this a into the previous equation. What do you get for the friction force?

ehild said:
Gravity acts on block m, and its component is mgsin(theta) along the incline.
This is what I have shown in image.

ehild said:
ma= mgsin(theta) -friction.
But you determined that the acceleration of both blocks is a=gsin(theta). Plug in this a into the previous equation. What do you get for the friction force?
friction force= 0?

Last edited: