Two charged spheres are connected

In summary, two identical conducting spheres with positive net charge attract each other with an electrostatic force of 0.108N when their center-to-center separation is 50 cm. When connected by a thin conducting wire and then removed, the spheres repel each other with an electrostatic force of 0.0360N. The question asks for the initial negative charge on one sphere and positive charge on the other before they were connected. Using the equations F = kqqr^-2 and q1 + q2 = 2x10^-6, the solutions are either 10^-6 or 3x10^-
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Two identical conducting spheres, fixed in place, attract each other with an electrostatic force of 0.108N when their center-to-center separation is 50 cm. The spheres are then connected by a thin conducting wire. When the wire is removed, the spheres repel each other with an electrostatic force of 0.0360N. Of the initial charges on the spheres, with a positive net charge, what was the negative charge on one of them and the positive on the other before they were connected?

Homework Equations

F = kqqr^-2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I noted that the charges must be equal after being connected. I called this charge q3.

Then (.25)0.036 = k(q3)^2
.009 = k(q3)^2
1x10^-6 = q^3

Since some charge n was removed from q1 and given to q2 for this to happen,

q1 - n = `1x10^-6
q2 + n = 1x10^-6

Suggesting that q1 + q2 = 2x10^-6.

With that in mind, since

0.108(.25) = k(q1)(q2),

(q1)(q2) = 3x10^-12

Substituting results in the quadratic

0 = -(q2)^2 + (2x10^-6)(q2) - (3x10^-12)

which has no real solution.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If one force is attractive and one force is repulsive, the signs are...

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

0.108(.25) = k(q1)(q2),

Note that one of the charges q1 or q2 is given to be positive while the other is negative. So, this equation is inconsistent (left side positive, right side negative).
[oops, I see Ibix essentially already gave you this hint.]

well the ans are 10^-6, -10^-6 ,3 x 10^-6,-3x 10^-6 is tht rite?

I corrected the sign error and solved the quadratic which has two solutions, 3x10^-6 and -10^-6.

I don't know how to get those other results you got. The problem specifies a positive net charge but i would still like to know.

well after chrge becomes q1-n and q2+n. and force wud become k(q1-n)(q2+n)/r^2. and
q1-n=q2+n u cn get value of n in terms of q1 and q2. n frm first eqn u have value of q1xq2...frm tht u will get four values of charges...even if ques demands positive chrge it will be both +10^6 and 3x10^6.

1MileCrash said:
I corrected the sign error and solved the quadratic which has two solutions, 3x10^-6 and -10^-6.

I don't know how to get those other results you got. The problem specifies a positive net charge but i would still like to know.

You got the possible values of charge on the second capacitor: it can be charged with 3x10^-6 C or -10^-6 C. The charge of the first capacitor is either -10^-6 C or 3x10^-6 C, respectively, as the sum of charges is 2x10^-6 C.
The equation for q3 had a positive and a negative solution, but the negative has been excluded.

ehild

Further to ehild's response, either 10-6 or -10-6 solve your first equation. The second is forbidden by the requirement of a net positive charge, but if you run with it anyway you get the other two answers sirisha gave. I believe that you are correct and sirisha has overlooked the positivity requirement.

ya didnt see the positive charge ...bt if only positive charges are to be included it will be both...

The question only requires a net positive charge. There could not be an attractive force initially if the charges were not opposite signs.

i did ths que a fewdaysbk n in my que net positive chrge wasnt specified so all the four ans came..

sry few days

1. How can two charged spheres be connected?

Two charged spheres can be connected by using a conducting material, such as a wire, to create a pathway for the charges to flow between them.

2. What happens when two charged spheres are connected?

When two charged spheres are connected, the charges will redistribute themselves to reach equilibrium. If one sphere has a higher charge than the other, the excess charge will flow to the other sphere until they both have the same charge.

3. Why do the charges redistribute when the spheres are connected?

The charges redistribute because of the principle of charge conservation. This states that the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant. When the spheres are connected, they form a closed system and the charges redistribute to maintain charge balance.

4. How does the distance between the spheres affect the redistribution of charges?

The distance between the spheres does not affect the redistribution of charges, as long as they are connected by a conducting material. The charges will still flow until both spheres have the same charge, regardless of the distance between them.

5. Can two charged spheres of the same charge be connected?

Yes, two charged spheres of the same charge can be connected. In this case, the excess charge will flow back and forth between the spheres until they both have the same charge again.