Two concentrations of calcium ions inside and outside the membrane

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Nernst potential for calcium ions given two concentrations inside and outside the membrane. It also discusses whether the calcium ions are in equilibrium at a resting potential of 70mV. The equation for calculating the Nernst potential is mentioned, and it is noted that at equilibrium, there is no current flow and the ratio of concentrations would be 1. However, the concept of concentration gradient is also brought up and it is clarified that the Nernst potential and the resting potential are not the same.
msoric
This isn't homework - just working through questions in my text. The question gives two concentrations of calcium ions inside and outside the membrane and asks to find the Nernst potential - ok no problem there.

Then it asks if the calcium ions are in equilibrium if the resting potential is 70mV. If they were in equilibrium, then

E = (RT/zF)(ln([outisde]/[inside])

But then, at calcium equilibrium, the ratio would be 1... ln(1) = 0 and there would be no potential... am I correct?

Thanks,

Mark

Physics news on Phys.org

I can't exactly figure out what you mean, but I wonder if you are mixing up a couple of ideas. At equilibrium, there is not equal concentrations; there is no current flow. The difference in concentration is balanced by the resting potential (which is the E in your equation). Don't forget calcium has 2 charges.

I still can't see how to figure out if the calcium is in equilibrium, I would only be able to get the ratio of the two concentrations... no?

mark

I suppose that's true, the concentration *gradient* is what drives motion, not the absolute value of concentration. But again, I think I am not really understanding your original question. It almost seems as if you are treating the Nernst and resting potential to be the same (and I don't think they are).

1. What is the significance of having two concentrations of calcium ions inside and outside the membrane?

The concentration of calcium ions plays a vital role in various cellular processes such as muscle contraction, nerve transmission, and hormone secretion. Having two different concentrations inside and outside the membrane allows for the maintenance of a stable resting membrane potential and regulation of these important cellular functions.

2. How do the concentrations of calcium ions inside and outside the membrane differ?

The concentration of calcium ions inside the cell is typically lower than the concentration outside the cell. This concentration gradient is maintained by active transport processes, such as the sodium-potassium pump, which constantly pumps out excess calcium ions from the cell.

3. What is the role of calcium ion channels in maintaining these concentrations?

Calcium ion channels are specialized proteins that allow for the selective movement of calcium ions across the cell membrane. These channels can open or close in response to various stimuli, such as changes in voltage or the binding of specific molecules, to regulate the flow of calcium ions in and out of the cell.

4. How does the concentration of calcium ions affect the excitability of cells?

The concentration of calcium ions inside and outside the membrane is closely linked to the excitability of cells. An increase in intracellular calcium ions can lead to cellular depolarization, making the cell more excitable, while a decrease in calcium ions can have the opposite effect, resulting in cellular hyperpolarization.

5. What factors can disrupt the balance of calcium ion concentrations inside and outside the membrane?

Several factors can disrupt the balance of calcium ion concentrations, including genetic mutations, diseases, and certain drugs. For example, disorders such as hypoparathyroidism and hyperparathyroidism can affect the regulation of calcium ions, leading to imbalances and potential health consequences.