What are the new dimensions of a cube under biaxial forces?

• Thread starter Confusedbiomedeng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
Yes, A and B are correct. But, there is no calculation on either page for ##\epsilon_z## in case (b) (the only actual error on those two pages).In summary, the cube with sides a=b=c=10cm is tested under biaxial forces of equal magnitudes of Fx=Fy=2x10^6, with the modulus and Poisson's ratio of the block material being E=2x10^11 Pa and ν=0.3. The new dimensions of the sides are 0.100007m for a, 0.100007m for b, and 0.09993m for c when both
Confusedbiomedeng

Homework Statement

Consider the cube with sides a=b=c=10cm . This block is tested under biaxial forces that are applied in the X and y directions. Assume that the forces applied have equal magnitudes of Fx=Fy=2x10^6 and that the modulus and poissons ratio of the block material is E=2x10^11 Pa and poissons ratio is = 0.3
I) find the new dimensions of sides if both are tensile and I) if Fx is tensile and fy is compressive

Homework Equations

σ=F/A
εX=1/E(σx-νσy)

The Attempt at a Solution

σX=2x10^6/0.1=2x10^7
Same for σy as same variables

εX= 1/2x10^11(2x10^7-0.3(2x10^7))

εX = 7x10^-5

εY= same as same variables

=> a=0.100007m
b=0.100007m
C=0.09993m

I know that this is wrong but I can't seem to figure out why and I can't seem to do when one is tensile and one is compressive could really use help

Physics news on Phys.org
Confusedbiomedeng said:
σX=2x10^6/0.1=2x10^7
Check the area term in there.

Your work would be much easier to follow if you were to use parentheses as appropriate.

haruspex said:
Check the area term in there.

Your work would be much easier to follow if you were to use parentheses as appropriate.
Sorry yes your right it should be 0.01
I mistyped as I only have my phone it's quite hard to reread probably

Confusedbiomedeng said:
Sorry yes your right it should be 0.01
I mistyped as I only have my phone it's quite hard to reread probably
It's not just that you mistyped that line, though. You carried the error through the rest of the calculation, no?

Also, C is wrong. What is the equation for epsilonC?

$$\epsilon_C=-\frac{\nu(\sigma_x+\sigma_y)}{E}$$

Chestermiller said:
$$\epsilon_C=-\frac{\nu(\sigma_x+\sigma_y)}{E}$$
And what is the difference then between tensile and compressive ? Also the equations εx=1/E(σx-μ(σy+σz))
εy=1/E(σy-μ(σx+σz))
εz=1/E(σz-μ(σy+σx))

Sorry I got thrown all these equations but no explanation on which or why use them

Confusedbiomedeng said:
And what is the difference then between tensile and compressive ?
No. That is just the result of substituting ##\sigma_z=0## into the equation below.
Also the equations εx=1/E(σx-μ(σy+σz))
εy=1/E(σy-μ(σx+σz))
εz=1/E(σz-μ(σy+σx))

Sorry I got thrown all these equations but no explanation on which or why use them
Yes. These equations are correct. You can choose whichever directions you please for the three stresses. In your problem, two of them are non-zero (and equal), and the third is zero.

Confusedbiomedeng said:
I got thrown all these equations but no explanation on which or why use them
Then let me break this down: εz=1/E(σz-μ(σy+σx))
With only a force in the x direction, the consequence for the z direction would be εz=(1/E)(-μσx). Similarly for a force in the y direction only.
For a force in the z direction only, the consequence for that direction is (1/E)(σz)
With forces in all three directions, to a first approximation, you can just add them together.

Likes Chestermiller
i did it out again , does this look more correct??

Attachments

• 20727475_10211976301577619_1272542046_o.jpg
    20727475_10211976301577619_1272542046_o.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 329
  • 20747689_10211976302097632_1020557893_o.jpg
    20747689_10211976302097632_1020557893_o.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 341
Confusedbiomedeng said:
i did it out again , does this look more correct??
Both calculations of C are incorrect. In part (a), you made an algebra error and in part (b) you calculated ##\epsilon_z## incorrectly.

Chestermiller said:
Both calculations of C are incorrect. In part (a), you made an algebra error and in part (b) you calculated ##\epsilon_z## incorrectly.
On the final page is it ? A and B dimensions are correct thou?

Confusedbiomedeng said:
On the final page is it ? A and B dimensions are correct thou?
Yes, A and B are correct. But, there is no calculation on either page for ##\epsilon_z## in case (b)

1. What is a cube?

A cube is a three-dimensional shape with six equal square faces, 12 edges, and eight vertices. It is a type of prism and is considered a regular polyhedron.

2. What are the new dimensions of a cube under biaxial forces?

The new dimensions of a cube under biaxial forces depend on the magnitude and direction of the forces applied. Generally, the cube will experience a change in shape and size, resulting in different lengths for its edges and angles for its faces.

3. How does biaxial force affect a cube's dimensions?

Biaxial forces apply pressure on two opposite sides of the cube, causing it to deform in a specific direction. This deformation results in changes to the cube's dimensions, including its length, width, and angles.

4. Can a cube maintain its original shape under biaxial forces?

No, a cube cannot maintain its original shape under biaxial forces. The forces applied cause the cube to deform and change its dimensions, resulting in a different shape.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the dimensions of a cube under biaxial forces?

Studying the dimensions of a cube under biaxial forces can help us understand the behavior of materials under stress and strain, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, construction, and material science. It can also aid in developing more durable and efficient structures and materials.