Two Parallel Wires: Magnetic Fields

In summary, the magnetic field at point P is 2 times the x-component of the magnetic field produced by the top wire and 3.868e-5 T.
ShotgunMatador

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires are a center-to-center distance of 1.10 cm apart and carry equal anti-parallel currents of 9.70 A. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at the point P which is equidistant from the wires. (R = 10.00 cm). (See Attachment for orientation)

I = 9.7 A
Distance from current source = √(.12+(.011/2)2) = 10.015 cm

Homework Equations

Binfinite wire= μi*I/2*pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing the upper wire's magnetic field rotates counterclockwise and the lower wire rotates clockwise using RHR 2. So the y components at point P are equal but opposite. So we know the magnitude at Point P is going to be 2 times the x component of the magnetic field produced by either wire, which is represented as...

Btotal=2*μi*I*cos(θ)/(2*π*√(.12+(.011/2)2))

where cos(θ) = .1/√(.12+(.011/2)2))

So Btotal = 3.868e-5 T but it is telling me that is wrong.

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 6.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 6.38.47 PM.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 851
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your reasoning runs the same as mine and I get a different answer - recheck your working and makes sure you plugged int he right values for things you have not given values for above. Check your arithmetic too. Best practise is to do all the algebra before you plug in values - so derive the relation you need using the variables given in the problem statement (d, R etc) first.

Likes ShotgunMatador
ShotgunMatador said:
where cos(θ) = .1/√(.12+(.011/2)2))
I don't think this expression is correct.
Make sure that you're using a carefully drawn diagram when setting up the expression for cos(θ).

Likes ShotgunMatador
TSny said:
I don't think this expression is correct.
Make sure that you're using a carefully drawn diagram when setting up the expression for cos(θ).
So cosθ = adjacent/hypotenus
in this case adjacent is R=.1
hypotenuse is from half of the distance d (.011/2 = .0055) so using Pythagoreans theorem, I got Hyp = .10015 m. using that instead I get the same value, i think the cosine isn't the issue.

The wires centers and point P form an isosceles triangle.
If we define ##\theta## to be the half-angle at P,
Then ##\cos\theta = R/\sqrt{R^2+(d/2)^2}##
... which is an example of where doing the algebra with the variables makes things easier BTW.
Putting: d=0.011m and R=0.1m, and isn't that what OP wrote?

Likes ShotgunMatador
ShotgunMatador said:
in this case adjacent is R=.1
Double check this. Can you post a picture of the triangle you are working with?

Likes ShotgunMatador
TSny said:
Double check this. Can you post a picture of the triangle you are working with?

here you go

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 6.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 6.38.47 PM.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 543
The θ in this diagram is not the angle you want to use in cos(θ) for calculating the net B field. Did you draw the B fields for each wire?

Likes ShotgunMatador and Simon Bridge
Oh I see what happened there ... I was wondering:
So the y components at point P are equal but opposite...
... easy to miss.

Likes ShotgunMatador
so the top wire would be counter clockwise and the bottom would be clockwise. the y component of B for the top wire points up and the y component of B for the bottom points down, don't they cancel?

ShotgunMatador said:
so the top wire would be counter clockwise and the bottom would be clockwise. the y component of B for the top wire points up and the y component of B for the bottom points down, don't they cancel?
Yes, they cancel.

But you need to draw the arrows representing the B-field vectors at P for each wire so that you can see the angle they make to the horizontal.

Likes ShotgunMatador
is the angle 45 because it will be tangent to the field line? aka there is a 90 degree angle between the two components

ShotgunMatador said:
is the angle 45 because it will be tangent to the field line? aka there is a 90 degree angle between the two components
The B vectors are tangent to the circular field lines, but why would that produce a 45o angle? You might try making several sketches for different positions of P. Do the B vectors make the same angle with respect to the horizontal for all positions of P?

Likes ShotgunMatador
okay so it isn't 90, I the angle for the field will be the other angle in that triangle (see sketch), but when I tried it, it too gave me the wrong answer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 8.52.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 8.52.09 PM.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 688
TSny said:
The B vectors are tangent to the circular field lines, but why would that produce a 45o angle? You might try making several sketches for different positions of P. Do the B vectors make the same angle with respect to the horizontal for all positions of P?
just kidding I plugged it in wrong.

Thanks for your help!

What is the definition of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in which a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can exert a force on other moving charges.

How do two parallel wires create a magnetic field?

When two parallel wires carry electric currents in the same direction, they create a magnetic field that is perpendicular to both wires. The magnetic field lines circulate around each wire and are attracted to each other, creating a stronger magnetic field between the wires.

What is the direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current in the first wire, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field between the wires.

How does the distance between two parallel wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between two parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

What are some real-world applications of two parallel wires and their magnetic fields?

Two parallel wires and their magnetic fields are used in various technologies such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in particle accelerators and MRI machines. Additionally, the Earth's magnetic field is created by the motion of molten metal in its core, which can be thought of as two parallel currents.