Two point sources oscillating in phase- find smallest corresponding path length diff

In summary, the problem gives the wavelength of 1.98 m and asks to find the smallest path length difference at the nodal point where two waves overlap. This can be calculated using the equation |PS2-PS1| = n(wavelength).
Sora730

Homework Statement

Two point sources S1 and S2, oscillating in phase send waves into the air at the same wavelength 1.98m. Given that there is a nodal point where the two waves overlap, find the smallest correspondign path length difference.

The only given i can obtain form this is the wavelength 1.98
i am unable to find what else is given

2. Homework Equations [/b

|PS2-PS1| = n(wavelength)
n = nodal line

The Attempt at a Solution

I was unable to attempt at the solution due any unknown given sorry..
if i have the givens then i can use the equation i believe and obtain the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
The given in the problem is the wavelength, 1.98 m. You can then use the equation |PS2-PS1| = n(wavelength), where n is a nodal line, to calculate the smallest path length difference. So, the smallest path length difference is equal to n*1.98 m, where n is the number of nodal lines.

Related to Two point sources oscillating in phase- find smallest corresponding path length diff

What is the significance of two point sources oscillating in phase?

When two point sources oscillate in phase, it means that they are both at the same point in their respective wavelengths at the same time. This creates a constructive interference pattern, resulting in a stronger and more focused wave.

How do you determine the smallest corresponding path length difference between two point sources oscillating in phase?

To find the smallest corresponding path length difference, you need to calculate the wavelength of the wave and then divide it by the distance between the two point sources. This will give you the smallest path length difference that will result in constructive interference.

What are some real-life examples of two point sources oscillating in phase?

Two speakers playing the same sound, two lasers emitting coherent light, or two tuning forks of the same frequency are all examples of two point sources oscillating in phase. These systems use constructive interference to produce a stronger and more focused wave.

How does the path length difference affect the interference pattern of two point sources oscillating in phase?

The path length difference directly affects the interference pattern. When the path length difference is an integer multiple of the wavelength, it results in constructive interference and a stronger wave. When the path length difference is a half integer multiple of the wavelength, it results in destructive interference and a weaker wave.

What happens if the path length difference between two point sources oscillating in phase is continuously changed?

If the path length difference is continuously changed, the interference pattern will also continuously change. This can result in alternating areas of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in a more complex pattern known as interference fringes.