Two Poisson distributed random variables

In summary, the difference of two Poisson variables is a Skellam distribution (as opposed to a sum of Poisson variables, which is just another Poisson variable with parameter ##\lambda_1 + \lambda_2##), so if you want you could look up the formulae for that.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Have two Poisson distributed random variables, with parameter ##\lambda##=2
Relevant Equations
probably
How do I evaluate
P(X-Y=0)=?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a little tricky. The difference of two Poisson variables is a Skellam distribution (as opposed to a sum of Poisson variables, which is just another Poisson variable with parameter ##\lambda_1 + \lambda_2##), so if you want you could look up the formulae for that.

You can try and work it out for yourself, however, by considering$$P(X = Y) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} P(X=k)P(Y=k) = \dots$$You will end up with an infinite sum for which you will require a modified Bessel function of the first kind, $$I_0(t) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\frac{1}{2}t)^{2k}}{(k!)^2}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes member 587159
You can't say anything with the information given. For example, if ##X = Y## are such random variables then ##\Bbb{P}(X-Y = 0) = \Bbb{P}(X=Y) = 1## but in general it is possible that ##\Bbb{P}(X - Y=0) < 1##.

Probably, you want to ask about the case where ##X## and ##Y## are independent. Then as @etotheipi this follows a Skellam distribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes etotheipi
it was a question in a multiple choice question. i was trying to find out why that wasn't the correct answer:
it was stating that
##P \left( X-Y=0 \right)=1##

hence i was trying to compute it

DottZakapa said:
it was a question in a multiple choice question. i was trying to find out why that wasn't the correct answer:
it was stating that
##P \left( X-Y=0 \right)=1##

hence i was trying to compute it

Do you have the verbatim problem statement?

Likes FactChecker
etotheipi said:
Sometimes it is so surprising to see what details are left out of the official problem statement.

Likes etotheipi
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 22.19.58.png

Yes, I agree with that answer.

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
😂 me too but, i want to know/understand why P[X-Y=]=1 is not correct.

DottZakapa said:
😂 me too but, i want to know/understand why P[X-Y=]=1 is not correct.

Well if the two continuous random variables are independent then it's definitely not true, since we could have, for instance ##X = 1## and ##Y = 33##. And a whole load of other combinations with ##X \neq Y##. Even if they are dependent, you will still generally have combinations with ##X \neq Y##.

If you impose a constraint that e.g. ##X =Y##, like @Math_QED explained nicely above, then you might well find that ##P(X-Y = 0) = 1##. But in general case that's not true.

Likes member 587159 and DottZakapa
Some other easy examples. The first is a discrete one, the second a continuous one.

Flip a fair coin. We have ##\Omega = \{H,T\}##, that is either we end up with heads or tails. The random variables ##I_{\{H\}}## (indicator function on the set ##\{H\}##) and ##I_{\{T\}}## are identical distributed yet they are unequal everywhere.

Let ##U## be a uniform distribution on ##[-1,1]##. Then ##-U## has the same distribution yet they are not identic.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is a Poisson distribution?

A Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that describes the number of events that occur in a fixed interval of time or space. It is often used to model rare events that occur independently of each other.

2. What are the characteristics of a Poisson distribution?

A Poisson distribution is characterized by its mean, which represents the average number of events in the given interval, and its variance, which measures the spread of the distribution around the mean. It is also a discrete distribution, meaning that the possible outcomes are whole numbers.

3. What are two Poisson distributed random variables?

Two Poisson distributed random variables refer to two separate events or processes that follow a Poisson distribution. This means that the number of events or occurrences for each variable can be described by a Poisson distribution with its own mean and variance.

4. How are two Poisson distributed random variables related?

Two Poisson distributed random variables can be related in several ways. They can be independent, meaning that the occurrence of one variable does not affect the other. They can also be correlated, meaning that the occurrence of one variable is related to the occurrence of the other. Additionally, they can be used to model a single event with different parameters, such as the number of customers at two different stores.

5. How do you calculate the joint probability of two Poisson distributed random variables?

The joint probability of two Poisson distributed random variables can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each variable. This can be represented by the formula P(X=x, Y=y) = P(X=x) * P(Y=y), where X and Y are the two variables and x and y are specific values. Alternatively, a joint probability table or a Poisson distribution calculator can be used to find the joint probability.