Two unequal charges repel, suspended from same point.

In summary, two small, identical spheres of mass m each are attached to thin light threads of length L each and hung from the same point. When charges q1 and q2 are placed on upon the spheres(with both charges having the same sign), the two spheres repel each other and, upon reaching equilibrium, hang at angles \theta and \theta' from the vertical. If q1= 3q2, then \theta' is equal to \theta. This is because the electrostatic forces caused by the charges are in line with the distance between the spheres, and assuming the charges are at the same level, the forces are horizontal. By equating the forces caused by the charges and the x-component of the two tension forces
Darkwolf312
1. Two small, identical spheres of mass m each are attached to thin light threads of length L each and hung from the same point. When charges q1 and q2 are placed on upon the spheres(with both charges having the same sign), the two spheres repel each other and, upon reaching equilibrium, hang at angles [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex]' from the vertical.
a) If q1= 3q2, what is [tex]\theta[/tex]' in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex]? (Hint: Consider Newton's Third Law)
b) Draw a free-body diagram for either sphere, and hence find the distance x between the spheres in terms of q1, q2, L, m, and any necessary physical constants. Assume that [tex]\theta[/tex] is small such that [tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\approx[/tex] Sin[tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\approx[/tex]Tan[tex]\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

F= kq1q2/d2

The Attempt at a Solution

In my first attempt at the problem, I assumed the forces caused by the charges were perpendicular to the vertical and thus got the answer Sin[tex]\theta[/tex]/Sin[tex]\theta[/tex]' = 1. I think this answer is incorrect, but I got it by equating the two forces caused by the charges, and hence equating the x-component of the two tension forces.

I guess the correct way to do it would be to take the electrostatic forces as being in line with the distance, but I can't seem to figure out the angle between the force and the horizontal. I am also unsure as to whether I should use the statement given in part b as how small [tex]\theta[/tex] is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Darkwolf312! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(hav a theta: θ :wink:)
Darkwolf312 said:
Assume that [tex]\theta[/tex] is small such that [tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\approx[/tex] Sin[tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\approx[/tex]Tan[tex]\theta[/tex]

In my first attempt at the problem, I assumed the forces caused by the charges were perpendicular to the vertical and thus got the answer Sin[tex]\theta[/tex]/Sin[tex]\theta[/tex]' = 1. I think this answer is incorrect, but I got it by equating the two forces caused by the charges, and hence equating the x-component of the two tension forces.

I guess the correct way to do it would be to take the electrostatic forces as being in line with the distance, but I can't seem to figure out the angle between the force and the horizontal.

Yes, you're correct, the force is in line with the distance :smile:

but you should assume that the charges are at the same level, so that the forces are horizontal …

that's what the question is trying to get at :rolleyes: when it talks about θ being small! :wink:

1. How do two unequal charges repel each other?

Two unequal charges repel each other due to the fundamental law of electric charges, which states that like charges repel and opposite charges attract. This is because the charges create electric fields that interact with each other, causing a repulsive force between the charges.

2. Why are the two charges suspended from the same point?

The two charges are suspended from the same point to eliminate any external influences on the experiment, such as gravity or friction. By suspending the charges from the same point, we can focus solely on the repulsive force between the two charges.

3. How does the distance between the charges affect their repulsive force?

The repulsive force between two charges is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the repulsive force decreases.

4. Can two charges with the same magnitude also repel each other?

Yes, two charges with the same magnitude can also repel each other if they have the same sign. For example, two positive charges will repel each other just as two negative charges would. This is because both charges have the same sign, and according to the fundamental law of electric charges, like charges repel.

5. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment demonstrates the fundamental law of electric charges and helps to explain how opposite charges attract and like charges repel. It also shows the relationship between the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them, highlighting the importance of electric fields in understanding the behavior of electric charges.