Work to bring a charge to the center of two quarter circles

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of angle θ and the integration from θ=0 to θ=π/2 to determine the electric field vector at point P. The last line raises a question about the work being 0 and the explanation given is that bringing the charge from infinity over the line y=-x does not involve any mechanical work as the electric force is perpendicular to the motion.
lorenz0
Homework Statement
Find the electric field at point C, which corresponds to the center of the two arcs of circumference with radius ##𝑅 = 10 cm## with uniform charge densities ##\lambda_1 = + 1nC / m## and ##\lambda_2 = -1 nC / m## respectively.
Also find the work required to bring a charge ##q= 5 \mu C## from infinity to point C.
Relevant Equations
##\vec{E}=\frac{kq}{r^2},\ V(r)=\frac{kq}{r}##
By measuring angle \theta from the positive ##x## axis counterclockwise as usual, I get ##d\vec{E}=k( (\lambda_2-\lambda_1)\cos(\theta)d\theta, (\lambda_2-\lambda_1)\sin(\theta)d\theta )## and by integrating from ##\theta=0## to ##\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}## I get ##\vec{E}(P)=\frac{k(\lambda_1-\lambda_2)}{R}(-1,-1)##.

Now, the work to bring a charge from infinity to point P should be (if we set ##V(\infty)=0##) ##L=qV(P)=q\int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi/2}(\frac{k\lambda_1}{R}+\frac{k\lambda_2}{R})Rd\theta=0##

I am a bit unsure about the work being ##0##, it doesn't feel intuitive to me that it should be: is this correct? Is there an intuitive explanation for the work being ##0##? Thanks

Attachments

• circle.png
    circle.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 65
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post either a diagram or a full description of the arc arrangement.
But just looking at the last line, I do not see how you get zero from that integral.

haruspex said:
Please post either a diagram or a full description of the arc arrangement.
But just looking at the last line, I do not see how you get zero from that integral.
I have posted the diagram; I get zero since ##\lambda_1=-\lambda_2##.

Last edited:
lorenz0 said:
Is there an intuitive explanation for the work being 0?
If you bring in the charge from infinity over the line ##y = -x##, the electric force is perpendicular to the motion, so no mechanical work is involved.

##\ ##

Likes PeroK and lorenz0
BvU said:
If you bring in the charge from infinity over the line ##y = -x##, the electric force is perpendicular to the motion, so no mechanical work is involved.

##\ ##
I see, thank you very much!

1. What is the purpose of "Work to bring a charge to the center of two quarter circles?"

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the amount of work required to bring a charge to the center of two quarter circles, which can help us understand the principles of electrostatics and the relationship between work and electric potential.

2. How do you set up the experiment for "Work to bring a charge to the center of two quarter circles?"

To set up this experiment, you will need two quarter circle conductors, a charge source, a balance, and a ruler. Place the conductors on a flat surface and connect them to the charge source. Use the balance to measure the weight of the charge and the ruler to measure the distance between the charge and the center of the quarter circles.

3. What factors affect the amount of work required in "Work to bring a charge to the center of two quarter circles?"

The amount of work required in this experiment is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance between the charge and the center of the quarter circles, and the properties of the conductors, such as their shape and size.

4. How do you calculate the work done in "Work to bring a charge to the center of two quarter circles?"

The work done in this experiment can be calculated using the formula W = qV, where W is the work done, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential. The electric potential can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the conductors, and r is the distance between the charge and the center of the quarter circles.

5. What are the potential applications of "Work to bring a charge to the center of two quarter circles?"

The results of this experiment can be applied in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and technology. It can help in understanding the behavior of electric charges and in designing efficient electrical systems. It can also be used to study the principles of work and energy in electrostatics.