Two Weighted Pulleys with a Suspended Mass

In summary: Use the conservation of energy theorem to find the total force.In summary, the hanging mass experiences two different moments of inertia and two different angular accelerations. The tension in the cord is the sum of the two different tensions, and the total force is the sum of the two different forces.
steakums

Homework Statement

Consider a uniform 10-kg circular disk with diameter .4m. The disk is free to rotate about a horizontal axis through its center. A (massless) cord wrapped around the disk passes over a 2-kg pulley, P, with diameter .2m and is attached to a 25-kg mass. The pulley's mass distribution is non-uniform, so its moment of inertia may be estimated as I=(3/4)*(m(r^2)). When the hanging mass is released from rest, it descends 1.2 m to the ground. Find
A) The acceleration of the hanging mass.
B)The tension in the cord
C)The angular velocity of the pulley when the mass reaches the ground.

Homework Equations

ma=mg-T
I=(3/4)*(m(r^2))
a=(αr)
τ=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with part A. I know that to find the acceleration I obviously have to solve for the tension in the cord but solving for the tension is part B. I also know that the tension in the rope will be uniform throughout, so I should be able to substitute in terms I know to be able to solve for acceleration. However, I cannot figure out how I am supposed to solve for acceleration in this case. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about using conservation of energy to solve this problem? Draw the free-body diagrams, and label what forces are acting where, keep in mind that the moment of inertia of the pulley will affect the force.

I would use conservation of energy, but this class has not even touched energy at all. We are expected to use force balance and torque only.

steakums said:

Homework Statement

Consider a uniform 10-kg circular disk with diameter .4m. The disk is free to rotate about a horizontal axis through its center. A (massless) cord wrapped around the disk passes over a 2-kg pulley, P, with diameter .2m and is attached to a 25-kg mass. The pulley's mass distribution is non-uniform, so its moment of inertia may be estimated as I=(3/4)*(m(r^2)). When the hanging mass is released from rest, it descends 1.2 m to the ground. Find
A) The acceleration of the hanging mass.
B)The tension in the cord
C)The angular velocity of the pulley when the mass reaches the ground.

Homework Equations

ma=mg-T
I=(3/4)*(m(r^2))
a=(αr)
τ=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with part A. I know that to find the acceleration I obviously have to solve for the tension in the cord but solving for the tension is part B. I also know that the tension in the rope will be uniform throughout, so I should be able to substitute in terms I know to be able to solve for acceleration. However, I cannot figure out how I am supposed to solve for acceleration in this case. Any help is appreciated.
There are two different moments of inertia and two different angular accelerations as well as two different tensions.

1. How do the weights on the pulleys affect the motion of the suspended mass?

The weights on the pulleys play a significant role in determining the motion of the suspended mass. The weight of the pulleys creates a tension force on the string, which is then transmitted to the suspended mass. The greater the weights on the pulleys, the greater the tension force and thus the faster the motion of the suspended mass.

2. What is the purpose of using two pulleys instead of just one?

The use of two pulleys creates a more complex system that allows for greater control over the motion of the suspended mass. By altering the weights on each pulley, the tension force and thus the motion of the suspended mass can be changed. This allows for more precise experimentation and data collection.

3. How does the angle of the string affect the motion of the suspended mass?

The angle of the string, also known as the angle of incidence, plays a crucial role in the motion of the suspended mass. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the tension force on the string and thus the faster the motion of the suspended mass. This relationship follows the principles of trigonometry and can be calculated using the sine function.

4. Can the motion of the suspended mass be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can have an impact on the motion of the suspended mass. As the mass moves through the air, it will experience a resistive force due to the air particles colliding with the mass. This can slow down the motion of the mass and may need to be accounted for in experimental data analysis.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the measurements taken in this experiment?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the measurements taken in this experiment, including human error, air resistance, and friction in the pulley system. It is important to carefully control and minimize these factors to ensure the most accurate results. Additionally, using precise and calibrated equipment can help improve the accuracy of the measurements.