Type of waves used in cell phone comm?

In summary, there is conflicting information about the signals used by cell phones/mobile phones, with some sources citing radio waves, others citing microwaves, and some mixing the two. Experiments with older and newer phones show that wire mesh can block older phones but not newer ones, leading to confusion about the validity of observations. Bluetooth technology uses radio waves, but there is also mention of IR being used in cell phones, adding to the confusion. WiFi, used by laptops, operates in the 2.4-5.0 GHz frequency bands, which can be considered either as radio or microwave waves.
pgardn
I have received conflicting information from the internet regaurding cell phone/mobile phone communication. Some articles site radio waves and others microwaves and still others mix the two when trying to explain the signals used by cell phones/mobile phones? What am I missing?

I did some experiments involving older cell phones and the newer I-phones. A wire mesh can clearly block some of the older cell phones ability to receive a signal but the I-phones seem immune. My experiments, which basically involved wrapping phones in wire mesh and calling them, prove what? are my observations faulty?

Finally I read that blue tooth technology uses radio vs. IR? But then the article explained how IR was used in "cell phones" so I got confused even further?

Help. As I type this, I am using a laptop, what type of waves is it receiving and sending. WiFi are classified as?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the different types of waves used in cell phone communication?

The two main types of waves used in cell phone communication are radio waves and microwaves.

2. How do radio waves and microwaves differ in cell phone communication?

Radio waves have a longer wavelength and lower frequency than microwaves, which have a shorter wavelength and higher frequency. This affects their ability to transmit information over long distances and through obstacles.

3. Which type of wave is used for voice communication in cell phones?

Both radio waves and microwaves are used for voice communication in cell phones, with microwaves being the more common choice due to their higher frequency and better quality.

4. What type of wave is used for data transmission in cell phones?

Microwaves are typically used for data transmission in cell phones due to their higher frequency and faster data transfer speeds.

5. Are there any health concerns related to the use of waves in cell phone communication?

There have been ongoing debates and studies about the potential health effects of cell phone waves, but there is currently no conclusive evidence that they cause harm to humans in the levels used for cell phone communication.