What Battery did Marty Cooper use in 1973?

In summary, the conversation discusses the type of battery used for the first cell phone call in 1973 by Marty Cooper. The conversation mentions that Nickel-Cadmium batteries were used in the 80s but it is uncertain if it was used for the first call. Further research suggests that it may have been a lead acid battery produced by Harker Batteries. It is also mentioned that Martin Cooper is still alive and could potentially be contacted for more information. The conversation also discusses the potential value of lead acid batteries that many people may not be aware of.
Cool4Kat
Hello, lovely people. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of battery Marty Cooper used for the very first cell (mobile) phone call in 1973? I know that by the 80s they were using Nickel-Cadmium batteries but I don't know about that first one.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cool4Kat said:
Hello, lovely people. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of battery Marty Cooper used for the very first cell (mobile) phone call in 1973? I know that by the 80s they were using Nickel-Cadmium batteries but I don't know about that first one.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy
I would almost bet good money that it was a lead acid made by Harker batteries :smile: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Likes Cool4Kat
I read an article that said that they were produced since 1946 (in a Scientific American from 1948) however, Marty Cooper complained that his battery weighed 1 pound. 10 years later, the whole system weighed 1 pound so his battery must have gotten significantly smaller. Thanks

Well I tried to google Harker batteries and it seems the best google can do is give a batteries plus in Harker Hights, Tx. A big surprise for me. :wideeyed:

Likes Cool4Kat
Martin Cooper is still alive. You should try to contact him to ask your question.

Likes RonL
Cool4Kat said:

Thanks in advance,

Kathy
May not have been rechargeable. They did not become popular until later.

Almost 24 hours later I finally find some information, (I would have lost my bet I think :frown:) after at least 15 years in my shop (unmolested) I had to find one of my batteries and I'm still not sure if a history goes back into the 70's ? The following link seems to be the batteries I have.

http://www.enersys-emea.com/reserve/pdf/EN-CYC-AM-007_1208.pdf

To my surprise it looks as if the single cell is still good and will take/hold a charge. :woot:
Not that this post will mean much to most people, but to me it means lead acid batteries have value that most have been taught no longer exist ?:rolleyes:

1. What type of battery did Marty Cooper use in 1973?

Marty Cooper used a nickel-cadmium (NiCd) battery in 1973. This type of battery was commonly used in portable electronics at the time.

2. How did the battery in Marty Cooper's device compare to modern batteries?

The nickel-cadmium battery used by Marty Cooper in 1973 had a much lower energy density compared to modern batteries. This means it could hold less charge and needed to be recharged more frequently.

3. Did Marty Cooper's battery require any special charging methods?

Yes, the nickel-cadmium battery used by Marty Cooper required a special charging method called "trickle charging." This involved charging the battery at a low rate to prevent overcharging and damaging the battery.

4. How long did the battery in Marty Cooper's device last?

The battery in Marty Cooper's device lasted for about 30 minutes of talk time before needing to be recharged. This was a significant improvement compared to previous mobile phone batteries, which only lasted for a few minutes.

5. Are nickel-cadmium batteries still used today?

No, nickel-cadmium batteries have largely been replaced by newer and more efficient battery technologies. However, they are still used in some applications that require a high discharge rate, such as power tools and emergency backup systems.