U-238 spacings and Zeta function zeroes?

In summary, a student analyzed unpublished notes on general patterns in quantum mechanics and found that the spacing between energy transitions in U238 followed the same form as the spacing of zeroes in the Zeta function. However, there was no explanation for this and it was uncertain if it could be applied to other nuclei. The student's work has been questioned for attempting to fit data into a mathematical formula without physical significance. The Thue-Morse Series was also mentioned as a cool set of numbers. Some people may try to assign mystical significance to the Zeta function, but it may not have much to do with uranium. There are some strange coincidences related to physical constants, but it takes statistical intuition to determine which ones are important. The referenced paper by
houlahound
I read some old unpublished student notes where the student in an undergrad project was looking at general patterns in QM results.

Seemed arbitrary to claim anything but the student did show that spacings in EV between transitions in U238 followed the same general form of zero spacings in the Zeta function. There was no attempt to look at other nucleus or explain why.
Assuming the student work is correct is there a research field that would cover this or is anyone aware of this particular match between energy spacings in nucleus and the spacing of zeroes in the Zeta function?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen several fringe theories that try to fit some data into a simple mathematical formula, for example the Heim theory "formulae" for the masses of elementary particles. If someone examines the spectral data of all atoms for which it's available and then tries to fit all of them one at a time into a large number of mathematical rules, it's likely that they will eventually find something that seems to be a good fit but is actually a random occurrence with no physical significance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Likes houlahound
Yeah I was dubious on those grounds. The paper/report seem to be a primer to justify further research...reeks a bit of numerology under the pretence of physics.

Pretty neat just the same it matches with Zeta zeroes. whole thing sounds cool and spooky, prolly why I hung onto it from years ago. I guess I can clear that space out now.

One interesting thing I did get out of it was a series called;

"The Thue-Morse Series".

Seems a cool set of numbers, in the process if googling it. Hope its legit.

ETA; ya, seems legit, not sure what a s[n] function is tho;

https://www.google.com.au/amp/m.wikihow.com/Generate-the-Thue-Morse-Sequence?amp=1

Some people may try to assign some kind of mystical significance to the zeta function, mostly because the related Riemann hypothesis is so difficult to prove. Some mathematical physicists have tried to approach the problem by attempting to construct a quantum operator that has a spectrum that consists of the imaginary parts of the zeta function zeroes, but that probably doesn't have much to do with uranium.

There are some strange coincidences related to physical constants, such as that found by Dirac , which may have some actual unknown meaning, but it takes quite a lot of statistical intuition to see what coincidences are important and which ones aren't.

Likes houlahound
I can see the appeal, makes for great chatter at a cocktail party...how much productive physics is involved I don't know.

Makes me question what all the hoopla is about re global patterns in complex systems yadyada.

Thanks for link, be an interesting read I am hoping.

houlahound said:
but the student did show that spacings in EV between transitions in U238 followed the same general form of zero spacings in the Zeta function.

I'm looking at both now, and they don't look anything like each other.

I reread the report, it is a bit misleading. It took spacing between peaks and plotted them in bins 9eV wide and showed the frequency of how many peaks were in the 9 EV bins. ie;

0-9 2
9-18 8
18-27 7
27-36 5
36-45 3

The Zeta function is shoe horned into the text via results from a paper by Montgomery in the 70's the reference cited as;

Barry Copra, Prime formula Weds Number Theory and Quantum Physics, Science vol 274, 20 December 1996 pp 2014-2015.

I don't have access to this paper. the student claims the freeman Dyson said

"Freeman Dyson saw Montgomery's work ...zeroes of the Zeta function behaved like the solutions that physicists were using to calculate energy levels in large nuclei..."

paraphrased for brevity.

The more I read the report the more I don't like it. Not worth the time. I wouldn't mind reading the Montgomery paper tho but it is only indirectly referenced via above source.

1. What is U-238?

U-238, also known as uranium-238, is a naturally occurring radioactive element with an atomic number of 92. It is the most abundant isotope of uranium and makes up about 99.3% of natural uranium found on Earth.

2. What are U-238 spacings?

U-238 spacings refer to the energy levels or spacings between energy levels of U-238 nuclei. These spacings are important in nuclear physics and can be calculated using the Wigner-Kirkwood expansion and other mathematical methods.

3. What is the Zeta function in relation to U-238 spacings?

The Zeta function, also known as the Riemann zeta function, is a mathematical function that plays a key role in the study of U-238 spacings. It is used to calculate the number of energy levels within a certain energy range and helps to determine the distribution of these levels.

4. Why are Zeta function zeroes important in U-238 spacings?

Zeta function zeroes, or the points where the Zeta function equals zero, are important in U-238 spacings because they correspond to the energy levels of the U-238 nuclei. These zeroes can be used to predict the behavior of U-238 nuclei and are crucial in understanding their properties and interactions.

5. How are U-238 spacings and Zeta function zeroes used in scientific research?

U-238 spacings and Zeta function zeroes are used in a variety of scientific research, particularly in nuclear physics and quantum mechanics. They provide insight into the behavior of U-238 nuclei and can help to improve our understanding of nuclear reactions, nuclear energy, and other related fields.