Ultimate tensile stress of material

In summary, the conversation discusses the labels of the stress-strain curve for a metal and which one corresponds to the Ultimate Tensile Stress (UTS). The answer key states that the UTS is labeled as B, but the person believes it should be labeled as A. They also mention that the Wikipedia article on UTS supports their belief, as long as the "True Stress-Strain" curve is considered instead of the "Engineering Stress-Strain" curve. However, someone else points out that point B could also be considered the breaking point due to the material necking and reducing its cross-section. They provide a resource for further reading on the topic.
songoku
Homework Statement
The diagram shows the stress-strain curve for a metal. Which label corresponds to the Ultimate Tensile Stress for this metal?
Relevant Equations
None
1661417992523.png

My answer is A but the answer key is B.

I don't understand why B. I would think B is the breaking point.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: The diagram shows the stress-strain curve for a metal. Which label corresponds to the Ultimate Tensile Stress for this metal?
Relevant Equations:: None

I would think B is the breaking point
Is there a difference?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength

Edit… I misread the article at that link the first time. Reading it again, it agrees with you that A is the UTS.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
The “Engineering Stress-Strain”curve is misleading in that area. The “True Stress-Strain” curve is what you need to consider.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: The diagram shows the stress-strain curve for a metal. Which label corresponds to the Ultimate Tensile Stress for this metal?
Relevant Equations:: None

View attachment 313238

My answer is A but the answer key is B.

I don't understand why B. I would think B is the breaking

A is UTS and B is Breaking point

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help haruspex, erobz, Martin TSK, Lnewqban

Likes erobz and Lnewqban

1. What is ultimate tensile stress of material?

Ultimate tensile stress of material, also known as ultimate tensile strength, is the maximum amount of stress or force that a material can withstand before breaking or failing. It is an important measure of a material's strength and durability.

2. How is ultimate tensile stress of material determined?

The ultimate tensile stress of material is determined through a tensile test, where a sample of the material is pulled apart until it breaks. The force applied and the resulting deformation are measured, and the ultimate tensile stress is calculated by dividing the maximum force by the original cross-sectional area of the sample.

3. What factors can affect the ultimate tensile stress of material?

The ultimate tensile stress of material can be affected by various factors such as the composition and structure of the material, the manufacturing process, and the temperature and environment in which the material is used. Additionally, any defects or flaws in the material can also impact its ultimate tensile stress.

4. Why is the ultimate tensile stress of material important?

The ultimate tensile stress of material is important because it helps engineers and scientists determine the suitability of a material for a specific application. It also allows for the comparison of different materials and helps in the design and selection of materials for various structures and products.

5. Can the ultimate tensile stress of material be increased?

Yes, the ultimate tensile stress of material can be increased through various methods such as alloying, heat treatment, and cold working. These processes can improve the strength and toughness of the material, making it more resistant to breaking under tension.