Ultrasonic Welding Help - PC Troubleshooting

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ultrasonic Welding as an alternative to solvent welding for polycarbonate parts. The speaker is looking for someone with knowledge in this area and mentions being familiar with solvent welding acrylic but having trouble with PC. They mention the need to figure out how to move one of the pieces while applying pressure for frictional heating. The conversation also suggests talking to manufacturers and mentions the expense and difficulty of using this method for a prototype project. It also mentions the benefits of Ultrasonic Welding in sealing electronics and the need for an experienced technician to tune the welding machine. Other options such as UV cured adhesive and PETG parts are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about overheating and cracking of ultrasonic
Overflowing
I'm exploring Ultrasonic Welding as an alternative to solvent welding of some polycarbonate parts...looking for someone with some knowledge in this arena. I'm very familiar with solvent welding acrylic, but PC is giving me troubles. Anyone willing to help me out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
As you probably already know, Ultrasonic Welding is just thermal welding with the heat supplied by the friction between the two parts being welded. So you have to figure out how to Ultrasonically move one of the pieces, perhaps a filler rod, while applying a fair amount of pressure to increase frictional heating.

I hope some more knowledgeable folks will come up with more specifics.

Talk to some of the manufacturers. A Search returns 145 000 hits.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ultrasonic+welder+plastic

Ultrasonic welding is a very expensive approach for the prototype project. Large companies can afford to put aside an expensive welder for trial work. Then their R&D staff have to design a horn and jig to concentrate the wave onto the joined surface ie the sonic horn is designed to concentrate the wave and the jig is designed to reflect the wave (like a mirror) back into the joined part and actually combine the initial and the reflected waves at the depth distance of the joint where the ultrasonic energy is focused and heats up the material to its melting point. If you try to use any old jig and horn, you will simply pump lots of ultrasonic energy into the whole part and simply warm one or both pieces up, but without concentrating the energy, no melting will take place.
This is excellent technology to seal electronics, no mess, no excess glues, the product is sealed from repair by unauthorized tinkering. It's an expensive method, but cheap in volume. Tuning an engineered horn (one specifically designed for the housing) still needs to be done by a floor technician with experience. ie often you still need to make several adjustments to the welding machine, even though YOU know the jig and horn are supposed to weld. Often, even an experienced tech will burn the surface of the item (smooth out or melt the exterior) until he gets the welders settings and proper pressures to weld at the depth of the joint.

Yes I've heard it's a bit of a "dark art" technique to get it just right - @CalcNerd what you are saying helps me a lot.

Right now I'm exploring a few other possible options as UW seems a bit cost-prohibitive, and without being able to find someone locally who has one that I can experiment with, the up front cost for something that may not work is a bit of a gamble. So I'm looking at either a combination of UV cured adhesvie + solvent welding (to keep the joint blushing to a minimum) or switching to PETG injected parts which don't have the blushing issue and are solvent weldable.

Have you considered mechanical joints ? Snap together joining systems eliminate many of the problems of glued and welded part assemblies .

This is not an option for me. 1) would require re-tooling at quite an expense 2) joint needs to be sealed water tight (but not pressure tight) 3) joint needs to be durable

what is the cause of over heating or cracking of ultrasonic horn?
thanks!

rowell said:
what is the cause of over heating or cracking of ultrasonic horn?
thanks!
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say where you have seen these issues?

In plastic ultrasonic welding process.

You have seen overheating and cracking? Who did the fabrication of the horns and holding fixtures?

http://www.ultrasonicsolutions.in/images/ultrasonic_tech3.jpg
ultrasonic_tech3.jpg

Attachments

• ultrasonic_tech3.jpg
    ultrasonic_tech3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:

What is ultrasonic welding?

Ultrasonic welding is a type of welding process that uses high-frequency vibrations to join two materials together. It is commonly used in industries such as automotive, electronics, and medical devices.

How does ultrasonic welding work?

In ultrasonic welding, the two materials to be joined are placed between a vibrating horn and an anvil. The horn applies high-frequency vibrations to the materials, causing them to rub against each other and create frictional heat. This heat melts the materials and fuses them together.

What are the advantages of ultrasonic welding?

Ultrasonic welding offers several advantages over other welding methods. It is a fast process, with welds typically being completed within seconds. It also does not require any additional materials such as adhesives or solvents, making it a cleaner and more environmentally-friendly option. Additionally, ultrasonic welding can create strong and precise welds, making it suitable for a wide range of materials and applications.

What are some common issues with ultrasonic welding?

Some common issues with ultrasonic welding include poor weld strength, weak bond lines, and inconsistent welds. These issues can be caused by factors such as improper settings, contamination on the materials, or mismatched materials. Proper troubleshooting and adjustments can help resolve these issues.

How can I troubleshoot issues with ultrasonic welding?

To troubleshoot issues with ultrasonic welding, you can start by checking the settings on the equipment and adjusting them as needed. You should also ensure that the materials being welded are clean and free of any contaminants. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult the equipment manual or seek assistance from a trained technician.