Unbelievable! My Gold Membership Reinstated - No Payment Needed?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, it seems like someone may have awarded a gold membership to someone who did not actually pay for it, but intended to. The person has lost the privileges they had when being a gold member, but has since regained it.
fluidistic
Gold Member
It's been maybe 1 year my gold membership expired. I had lost the privileges I had when being a gold member and now I realize I have the gold status again. I have no memory of having paid any new subscription to PF.
Is it some kind of error or some moderator went too nice on me?
My username should be black and I should have no picture. On the other hand I like being gold for free. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
We give out gold memberships for many reasons now. Perhaps you won a contest or someone donated a membership to you.

Wow, this is awesome! Thank you very much! :biggrin:

Kudos for your honesty.

I was going to post my own thread, but I'll try adding onto this one first.

I posted up a flyer at school in Oct 2009 for the Project PF Proliferation and received a gold membership for a year. I don't remember paying for a membership after my one year was up, but it was always my intention to do so when it expired. I don't see any information under My PF that show any dates and I don't show any paypal transfers that could be it from 09-12/2010.

I was wondering the same thing as fluidistic, whether I was hijacking a free gold membership. If I never did renew and my one year has passed I would certainly like to pay for a gold membership. On the same token, if I did indeed pay and have forgotten then I'd like to know that as well.

I use this site quite a bit, even when I'm only lurking, and I would like to make sure I contribute.

P.S. I guess I should post up another flyer now that I'm at a large University (U of Houston) and a Physics major. :P

S_Happens said:
I was going to post my own thread, but I'll try adding onto this one first.

I posted up a flyer at school in Oct 2009 for the Project PF Proliferation and received a gold membership for a year. I don't remember paying for a membership after my one year was up, but it was always my intention to do so when it expired. I don't see any information under My PF that show any dates and I don't show any paypal transfers that could be it from 09-12/2010.

I was wondering the same thing as fluidistic, whether I was hijacking a free gold membership. If I never did renew and my one year has passed I would certainly like to pay for a gold membership. On the same token, if I did indeed pay and have forgotten then I'd like to know that as well.

I use this site quite a bit, even when I'm only lurking, and I would like to make sure I contribute.

P.S. I guess I should post up another flyer now that I'm at a large University (U of Houston) and a Physics major. :P
Click on the https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php" link at the top of any forum page. You can always pay in advance and you don't need a "Pay Pal" account.

That link also shows the "Start Date" and "Expiry Date" for your PF contributions.

edit: After looking at my data, I decided to add another year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did look there, and it doesn't show any dates. It shows me the options to pay for one year or 5 years and a note about automatic renewals being marked with a red asterisk, but nothing else.

S_Happens said:
I did look there, and it doesn't show any dates. It shows me the options to pay for one year or 5 years and a note about automatic renewals being marked with a red asterisk, but nothing else.
Strange. This is what I see when I poke the Upgrade button:

attachment.php?attachmentid=32405&stc=1&d=1298314807.jpg

Attachments

• Upgrade.jpg
    Upgrade.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 617
Yup, mine is missing the "Active Subscriptions" area completely.

Well, sometimes good s_happens! =D

I guess I'll give this one more try for a mentor/Greg to spot before I make my own thread.

S_Happens said:
I guess I'll give this one more try for a mentor/Greg to spot before I make my own thread.

Dough. Nation.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Please don't :)

OK. Any ideas on what is going on?

nismaratwork said:
Dough. Nation.

D'oh. Nate. Id.

S_Happens said:
D'oh. Nate. Id.

Bingo! (not by me, just a guess)

Hmm why am I still "Gold"? It's been more than a year now and Greg said it was awarded for a year.
I enjoy being gold though. :)

I wonder if it has anything to do with being awarded the membership from scratch rather than using the payment route. We did have that in common.

fluidistic said:
Hmm why am I still "Gold"? It's been more than a year now and Greg said it was awarded for a year.
I enjoy being gold though. :)
SHHHH! Ixnay on the Oldgay.

1. What caused your gold membership to be reinstated without payment?

My gold membership was reinstated due to a technical error on the company's end. They mistakenly canceled my membership and then realized their mistake, so they reinstated it without requiring payment.

2. How long did it take for your gold membership to be reinstated?

It took approximately 24 hours for my gold membership to be reinstated after it was canceled. I received an email notification from the company informing me of the mistake and the reinstatement.

3. Did you have to contact the company to get your gold membership reinstated?

No, I did not have to contact the company. They proactively reached out to me once they realized their mistake and took the necessary steps to reinstate my membership.

4. Are there any precautions you can take to prevent this type of error from happening?

Unfortunately, there are no specific precautions that can prevent this type of error from happening. However, it is always a good idea to regularly check your membership status and contact the company if you notice any discrepancies.

5. Will you be receiving any compensation for the inconvenience?

At this time, I am not expecting any compensation for the inconvenience. The company has already addressed the error and reinstated my membership, so I am satisfied with the resolution.