Uncertainty - Finding Momentum and KE

In summary, uncertainty is a measure of randomness and unpredictability in a physical system. In the context of finding momentum and kinetic energy, uncertainty refers to limitations in measuring or predicting these quantities due to factors such as experimental errors and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, there is a limit to how precisely we can know the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This affects the measurement of kinetic energy, as kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of momentum. To reduce uncertainty, strategies such as improving experimental setup precision, increasing the number of measurements, and taking measurements at different positions can be employed. The formula for calculating uncertainty in momentum is Δp = h/Δx, derived
erok81

Homework Statement

An electron is conned inside a cubic region of size an atomic radius L = 0.5 nm.

Homework Equations

What is the uncertainty in the momentum p of the electron? Remember that [tex]\Delta p \Delta x \approx h[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused when to use [tex]\Delta p \Delta x \approx h[/tex] or [tex]\Delta p \Delta x \approx \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex].

So first I solved for p using [tex]\Delta p \Delta x \approx h[/tex] since that's what was suggested in the problem.

From the momentum I found there, I then solved for speed using [tex]\Delta p \Delta x \approx h[/tex] along with the electron's mass. This gave me a non-relativistic speed.

The next part of the problem reads: what is its minimum kinetic energy? Is the electron relativistic? For this I just used the regular KE=1/2mv2.

Then I got thinking about the minimum KE as asked in the question and that is where my confusion came in. Should I be using the second equation instead? I read the wiki page for the Uncertainty Principle and that confirmed my worry that I should be using the second one.

My question is...is my logic for this problem correct (the way I have already solved it)? And when is one used over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your logic for solving the problem is correct, but you should indeed be using the second equation, \Delta p \Delta x \approx \frac{\hbar}{2}, when calculating the uncertainty in momentum.

The first equation, \Delta p \Delta x \approx h, is a simplified version of the uncertainty principle that is often used in introductory physics courses. It is an approximation that works well for macroscopic objects, but for microscopic particles like electrons, the second equation is more accurate. This is because the value of Planck's constant, h, is much larger than the reduced Planck's constant, \hbar, which is used in the second equation.

In general, the first equation is used when the particle's momentum is much larger than \hbar, and the second equation is used when the particle's momentum is on the order of \hbar or smaller. Since electrons have very small momenta, the second equation is more appropriate for this problem.

Therefore, to answer the question about the uncertainty in momentum, you should use the second equation, \Delta p \Delta x \approx \frac{\hbar}{2}, to calculate the uncertainty in momentum and then use the same equation to calculate the uncertainty in position. This will give you a more accurate value for the uncertainty in momentum, which you can then use to determine the minimum kinetic energy of the electron.

In summary, your logic for solving the problem is correct, but you should use the second equation, \Delta p \Delta x \approx \frac{\hbar}{2}, when calculating the uncertainty in momentum and position for a microscopic particle like an electron. The first equation, \Delta p \Delta x \approx h, is only an approximation and is more suitable for macroscopic objects.

Related to Uncertainty - Finding Momentum and KE

1. What is uncertainty in the context of finding momentum and kinetic energy?

Uncertainty is a measure of the inherent randomness and unpredictability in a physical system. In the context of finding momentum and kinetic energy, uncertainty refers to the limitations in our ability to precisely measure or predict these quantities due to factors such as experimental errors and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

2. How is uncertainty related to momentum?

According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, there is a fundamental limit to how precisely we can know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that as we try to measure the momentum of a particle more accurately, the uncertainty in its position increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating uncertainty in momentum?

The formula for calculating uncertainty in momentum is Δp = h/Δx, where Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, h is the Planck constant, and Δx is the uncertainty in position. This formula is derived from the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. How does uncertainty affect the measurement of kinetic energy?

Uncertainty in momentum also leads to uncertainty in the measurement of kinetic energy. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of momentum. Therefore, as the uncertainty in momentum increases, so does the uncertainty in kinetic energy.

5. What are some strategies for reducing uncertainty in momentum and kinetic energy measurements?

One strategy for reducing uncertainty in momentum and kinetic energy measurements is to improve the precision of the experimental setup. This can include using more sensitive instruments and minimizing sources of error. Another strategy is to increase the number of measurements taken, which can help to reduce the impact of random errors. Additionally, taking multiple measurements at different positions can help to reduce uncertainty in momentum and kinetic energy due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.