Uncertainty in Measurements: Understanding Multiplication Factors

In summary, the conversation discussed how to determine the uncertainty of data and when to multiply the value of calculated data or percentage of accuracy with given data. It was determined that the manufacturer's specifications should be followed and the reporting conventions of the organization should be used, with a recommended format of (measured value) = xbest ± δx.
averycasille
Gold Member
Hello, guys! (And girls, but.. you know..)
There are several things I do not quite understand, so, can you help me clear my doubts? ^^

1) How do I know when to multiply the value of calculated data when it comes to determining the uncertainty of the data?

2) When do I multiply the percentage of accuracy with given data when determining uncertainty?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are asking, Perhaps you could give an example of your issue.

Sorry for being unclear!
• The manufacturers of a digital voltmeter give, as its specification, accuracy +-1% with an additional uncertainty of +-10mV. The meter reads 4.072V. How should this reading be recorded, together with its uncertainty?

averycasille said:
How should this reading be recorded, together with its uncertainty?

You record the reading as is 4.072 V. The uncertainty should be 1% of that reading + 10 mV.= 0.0407 V + .01 V = .0.0417 V =0.042 V ( rounding )

Ohh. So, when the specific accuracy is given, I should always multiply with the data and add it with the additional uncertainty? Is that it?
Also, regarding the rounding off, that should be based on significant figures/decimal place of the data? O.O

averycasille said:
so, regarding the rounding off, that should be based on significant figures/decimal place of the data? O.O[/QUOTE

yes

gleem said:
You record the reading as is 4.072 V. The uncertainty should be 1% of that reading + 10 mV.= 0.0407 V + .01 V = .0.0417 V =0.042 V ( rounding )
0.0407V + 0.010 V = 0.0507V which is 0.051 after rounding to an appropriate precision.

Thanks, peeps! But, significant figure OR decimal place? Sorry for asking a lot [emoji848][emoji23][emoji24]

As a general rule, significant figures are not appropriate in the real world. They are a toy for the classroom. The reporting conventions for your organization should be followed. One recommendation from http://web.mit.edu/fluids-modules/www/exper_techniques/1.Recording.Uncertainty.pdf is:

"As described above, to determine a quantity x, we make a measurement, report our best estimate, and report the range over which we are reasonably confidant the actual value lies: (measured value of x) = xbest ± δx ."

e.g. 4.072 ± .051 V

Likes jk494
Thanks for the assistance, everyone. Means a lot [emoji120] Really appreciate it!

What is uncertainty in measurements?

Uncertainty in measurements refers to the degree of doubt or error associated with a particular measurement. It is a measure of how well we know the quantity being measured.

Why is uncertainty important in scientific measurements?

Uncertainty is important because it allows us to understand the limitations of our measurements and the accuracy of our results. It also helps us to compare and evaluate different measurements and determine the reliability of our data.

How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is calculated by taking into account the precision of the measuring instrument, any systematic errors, and the variability of the measurements. It is typically expressed as a range of values with a confidence level.

How does uncertainty affect the validity of scientific experiments?

Uncertainty can affect the validity of scientific experiments by introducing errors and inaccuracies into the data. It is important for scientists to minimize uncertainty as much as possible in order to obtain reliable and accurate results.

What are some sources of uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Some sources of uncertainty in scientific measurements include limitations of measuring instruments, human error, environmental factors, and variability in the quantity being measured. It is important for scientists to identify and control these sources of uncertainty to ensure the accuracy of their measurements.