How Should Uncertainty Be Handled When Averaging Measurements?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to properly calculate the average of multiple measurements with different levels of uncertainty. The thread mentioned a formula for a weighted average that takes into account the uncertainty of each measurement. The appropriate course of action is to use the weighted average, which will result in a more precise value for the average.
LCHL

Homework Statement

This isn't a specific problem. It's more of something that I have encountered before and I have been unable to find an answer to by looking online or through notes. Hopefully this thread might serve others with similar problems in the future.

Say for example, you want to measure the speed of sound experimentally, and you get four values from four attempts:

340 ± 1 m/s
345 ± 5 m/s
341 ± 2 m/s
335 ± 20 m/s

It seems sensible to average the data to get a value which will hopefully be a good estimate. That is not too difficult, but how would one deal with uncertainty in this case?

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

The mean of these values gives a speed of sound of 340 m/s correct to one decimal place.

I have been told that the error of the average is not the average of the error, so that would eliminate using ± 7 m/s as the uncertainty. The standard deviation can be used to give an uncertainty of ± 4 m/s but that ignores the uncertainty in each of the measured quantities.

Another way of obtaining uncertainty is to subtract the smallest obtained value from the largest and divide it by the number of samples, giving (345-335)/4 = ± 2.5 m/s but this also ignores the measurement uncertainty.

What is the appropriate course of action in this case? Thanks in advance. :oldsmile:

Physics news on Phys.org
gneill said:
Take a look at this thread:

Uncertainty of an Average
That thread only deals with assessing the error range for the average (as far as I could see), but there is a question before that: how to find the average. It does not make sense to give equal weight to a measurement with greater uncertainty.
See for example http://labrad.fisica.edu.uy/docs/promedios_ponderados_taylor.pdf

Likes LCHL
haruspex said:
That thread only deals with assessing the error range for the average (as far as I could see), but there is a question before that: how to find the average. It does not make sense to give equal weight to a measurement with greater uncertainty.
See for example http://labrad.fisica.edu.uy/docs/promedios_ponderados_taylor.pdf

I think @D H's post #7 in that thread covered the more precise weighted average adequately (the "One last item" towards the end).

Oh wow the formula in D H's post is really useful. Thank you so much for pointing that out. :biggrin: From inspection, that would imply that if you took a measurement a large number of times and measurement uncertainty is constant like in that previous example, the error would be quite small.

Taking the example in the opening post as an example, if the mean after 100 measurements was 3.31 and all uncertainties were ± 0.01, the uncertainty would be reduced to ± 0.001. Obviously that uncertainty is extremely low, but it makes some sense given that if you measure something properly a large number of times, it should converge on the correct answer.

I've taken a look at that very useful document and the method used is the same as the one mentioned above. They are just phrased differently.

Therefore, the answer to the question would be 340 ± 1 m/s rounded appropriately. Thanks all! :cool:

gneill said:
I think @D H's post #7 in that thread covered the more precise weighted average adequately (the "One last item" towards the end).
Ah yes, I missed it, thanks.

What is "Uncertainty of the Average"?

"Uncertainty of the Average" refers to the amount of variability or imprecision in the average value of a set of data. It is a measure of how much the average value could potentially differ from the true population average.

Why is it important to consider the uncertainty of the average?

It is important to consider the uncertainty of the average because it provides a measure of how reliable or accurate the average value is. If the uncertainty is high, it means that the average value may not be a good representation of the true population average and should be interpreted with caution.

How is the uncertainty of the average calculated?

The uncertainty of the average is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as standard error or confidence intervals. These methods take into account the sample size, variability of the data, and the desired level of confidence in the results.

What factors can affect the uncertainty of the average?

The main factors that can affect the uncertainty of the average are the sample size, variability of the data, and the presence of outliers. A larger sample size and lower variability will generally result in a lower uncertainty, while the presence of outliers can increase the uncertainty.

How can the uncertainty of the average be reduced?

The uncertainty of the average can be reduced by increasing the sample size, reducing the variability of the data, and identifying and removing any outliers. It is also important to use appropriate statistical methods to calculate and report the uncertainty of the average.