Uncertainty, volume, and measurement

In summary: The uncertainty is defined as the percentage of error in the calculated value. In this case, the uncertainty is 4.04%.
mncyapntsi
Homework Statement
Find the % uncertainty of the V of a sphere with r = 19.31 plus or minus 0.13...
Relevant Equations
v=3pi/4r^3
I have done this question and gotten:

Vmin = 4pi/3(19.18)^3=29555.2
V = 4pi/3(19.31)^3=30160.3
Vmax = 4pi/3(19.44)^3=30773.5

Uncertainty: {[30773.5-29555.2]/30160.3}x100=4.04% however this is wrong...
Could someone please help me find out where I went wrong, or tell me if I went the wrong direction? I was told I should apparently be using calculus to solve this, but I have no clue where to even start...
Any help would be much much appreciated!

Have a wonderful day

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the uncertainty defined?

mncyapntsi said:
Homework Statement:: Find the % uncertainty of the V of a sphere with r = 19.31 plus or minus 0.13...
Does this amount to an absolute uncertainty of 0.13 or 0.26?
mncyapntsi said:
Uncertainty: {[30773.5-29555.2]/30160.3}x100=4.04%
You may or may not have received guidance about significant figures in reports of uncertainty. It is almost never appropriate to report uncertainty to more than two significant figures.

Last edited:
mncyapntsi said:
Homework Statement:: Find the % uncertainty of the V of a sphere with r = 19.31 plus or minus 0.13...
Relevant Equations:: v=3pi/4r^3

I have done this question and gotten:

Vmin = 4pi/3(19.18)^3=29555.2
V = 4pi/3(19.31)^3=30160.3
Vmax = 4pi/3(19.44)^3=30773.5

Uncertainty: {[30773.5-29555.2]/30160.3}x100=4.04% however this is wrong...
Could someone please help me find out where I went wrong, or tell me if I went the wrong direction? I was told I should apparently be using calculus to solve this, but I have no clue where to even start...
Any help would be much much appreciated!

Have a wonderful day
Have you taken calculus yet? Are you familiar with derivatives? Also, why do you think you are wrong?

mncyapntsi said:

I should apparently be using calculus to solve this
Note the "plus or minus". How does that compare with your answer of 4%?

You can use calculus. It leads to a useful general result about how small fractional errors in a linear dimension translate into fractional errors in two and three dimensions. But for the purpose of this question, your method is fine.

Likes bob012345

1. What is uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Uncertainty refers to the degree of doubt or error in a measured quantity. It is a measure of the precision and accuracy of a measurement.

2. How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is calculated by considering the limitations of the measuring instrument, the skill of the person taking the measurement, and any external factors that may affect the measurement.

3. What is the difference between precision and accuracy?

Precision refers to the level of consistency or reproducibility in a set of measurements, while accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or accepted value.

4. How does volume affect uncertainty in a measurement?

The larger the volume being measured, the lower the uncertainty. This is because the effects of small errors or variations in measurement are diminished in larger volumes.

5. What are some common units of measurement for volume?

Some common units of measurement for volume include liters, milliliters, cubic meters, and gallons. The appropriate unit to use depends on the size and context of the volume being measured.