Uncovering the Complexities of Streamlined and Steady Flow in Fluid Dynamics

In summary: It was during the Canterbury riots and Becket was killed. Henry declared that the Church could do whatever it wanted because the people were rioting and so the Church could do whatever it wanted to stop the riots. This is a pretty important event in English history because it set the stage for the Protestant Reformation. In the end, the Protestant Reformation was successful because it was able to overturn the Catholic Church and convert the majority of the population to Protestantism.In summary, the Protestant Reformation was a successful movement that overturned the Catholic Church and converted the majority of the population to Protestantism.
Kaushik
TL;DR Summary
What is the difference between streamlined and steady flow? Is unsteady streamlined flow possible? If yes, could you please explain what are the characteristics of unsteady streamlined flow?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think these are both language rather than precisely defined states, and can be used with different meanings in different contexts. However, to me there is a difference in connotation. To me “steady” suggests a lack of temporal variation. This could be the lack of local turbulent variation and so could be used to mean streamlined, but it also could mean a lack of variation in the total flux.

“Streamlined” on the other hand indicates a lack of turbulence. (well, it is also an adjective that means designed to minimize resistance, but here I assume you mean “streamlined flow”) and seems synonymous with laminar. To me it doesn’t say anything about temporal variations in the total flux.

So, I would have no problem if somebody said “a steady turbulent flow” or “streamlined flow with an unsteady varying rate”. On the other hand, I also wouldn’t be surprised if people used steady to mean streamlined.

"Streamlined flow" has no technical definition in fluid dynamics literature. It doesn't imply laminar or turbulent or anything since it has no technical definition. It's a popular terminology that usually means "low drag," but could mean slightly different things to different people.

Steady flow means no time-varying component. In the strictest sense, this means absolutely not time variation. You could also have flows that are quasi-steady, i.e. they are steady only in a certain way such as temporarily or in an average sense. Quasi-steady flows allow a lot of similar assumptions to be made as an true steady flow.

Cutter Ketch said:
“a steady turbulent flow”

A turbulent flow always has a time-varying quality to it. That's part of the definition of turbulence. If you want to treat a turbulent flow as steady, you have to do it in an average sense to average over those fluctations. See, for example, the concept of Reynolds averaging.

Cutter Ketch said:
“streamlined flow with an unsteady varying rate”

What is "an unsteady varying rate?"

Perfect streamlined flow is a fiction but it can be used successfully below appropriate speeds where it gives good answers with acceptable errors. Imo, it describes a situation in which turbulence is low enough to ignore and where it is damped by viscosity.
I'm not sure that Steady flow is as well defined except that it could indicate a situation in which turbulence happens to be relatively constant as opposed to a situation in which there are large variations over time. A 'Steady' situation would perhaps need to be defined in the context of a particular situation.
As in most cases, it's not a good idea to get too hung up on verbal definitions. They can lead you into confusion.

Likes Kaushik
Why is everyone obsessed with turbulence? First, it's not inevitable and there Re plenty of flows with zero turbulence involved, even in the real world. Second, it is only tangentially related to what we are discussing here, yet it seems to be the first thing everyone types.

Last edited:
Likes cjl and sophiecentaur
boneh3ad said:
Why is everyone obsesses with turbulence?
It all started with Henry the second and his Archbishop Becket.

What is the difference between streamline and steady flow?

Streamline flow refers to the movement of a fluid in a smooth, continuous manner without any turbulence or vortices. Steady flow, on the other hand, refers to a flow where the velocity and other flow properties do not change with time.

Which type of flow is more common in real-life scenarios?

In most real-life scenarios, both streamline and steady flow can coexist. However, steady flow is more common in practical applications, as it is easier to control and analyze compared to streamline flow.

What are the main factors that affect the type of flow?

The type of flow is mainly affected by the fluid properties (such as viscosity and density), the shape of the object, and the velocity of the flow. For example, high viscosity fluids tend to have more streamline flow, while low viscosity fluids tend to have more turbulent flow.

Can streamline flow become unstable and transition into turbulent flow?

Yes, under certain conditions, streamline flow can become unstable and transition into turbulent flow. This can happen when the Reynolds number (a dimensionless number that describes the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces) exceeds a critical value.

Why is it important to understand the differences between streamline and steady flow?

Understanding the differences between streamline and steady flow is crucial in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and hydrodynamics. It allows us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of fluids in different scenarios and design more efficient and safe systems.