Uncovering the Mystery: The Disappearance of Sean Carroll

In summary: Marcus, you got the pun, so you "made the cut". I wanted to throw in a smilie, but that would have made it too obvious.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
robphy said:
... know what happened?

You gave the specific blog
http://preposterousuniverse.blogspo...erousuniverse_archive.html#111509098797695398

and here is a quote from it:
"I hadn't anticipated any problems at all. But apparently there are a few of our faculty who don't think much of my research. A stylistic clash, I imagine. "

So he SAYS it was some others in the department didnt like the direction or character of his research. I tend to believe what Sean says rather than look for hidden reasons that he does not say.

my feeling is that he will have a great career wherever he goes. he is smart and popular, has lots of colleagues that like him and will connect him to some excellent position. he is also something of a celebrity cosmologist, much invited to give talks at all kinds of conferences. he will be a big asset to whatever Astronomy department he fits into

my feeling is that it doesn't really accomplish anything to speculate about why UChicago department didnt want him as their permanent resident celebrity cosmologist. if they didnt like his brand of cosmology and wanted to move in a different direction then that is their perogative. Departments have to decide what their makeup and the main thrust of their research is going to be.

Let's look and see what cosmologist they get INSTEAD and maybe that will be a clue.

I don't want to judge them. Obviously they gave up a world-class star cosmologist, whom everybody likes as a person, and they must realize this, and they must have had some other consideration that balanced it.

Last edited:
The only thing I can come up with is maybe the board asked who is the leading cosmetologist and Sean didn't make the cut.

turbo-1 said:
The only thing I can come up with is maybe the board asked who is the leading cosmetologist and Sean didn't make the cut.

at least that fits with what he said about a "stylistic clash"
:uhh:

That is sad news. I think he is a visionary. Did Jennifer Chen depart as well?

Chronos said:
That is sad news. I think he is a visionary. Did Jennifer Chen depart as well?

I found it sad too. Someone else will have to answer your question about her because I don't know anything besides what he said at the blog. However I do not think that either of them has left Chicago. Sean is still on the faculty. I think the department's refusing to grant him tenure simply means that over the next year he will probably get some nice offers from other places and he will resign his position at UChic. and move somewhere else. Not getting tenure is not like getting fired, it is like NOT getting a promotion that you expected.

marcus said:
at least that fits with what he said about a "stylistic clash"
:uhh:
Marcus, you got the pun, so you "made the cut". I wanted to throw in a smilie, but that would have made it too obvious.

1. Who is Sean Carroll?

Sean Carroll is an American theoretical physicist, cosmologist, and author. He is currently a research professor of theoretical physics at the California Institute of Technology.

2. What are Sean Carroll's research interests?

Sean Carroll's research interests include cosmology, the foundations of quantum mechanics, and the nature of time and entropy.

3. What are some of Sean Carroll's notable achievements?

Sean Carroll has received numerous awards for his work, including the 2019 Stephen Hawking Medal for Science Communication and the 2015 Andrew Gemant Award from the American Institute of Physics. He is also a Fellow of the American Physical Society.

4. What books has Sean Carroll written?

Sean Carroll has written several books, including "From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time", "The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World", and "Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime".

5. Is Sean Carroll active on social media?

Yes, Sean Carroll is active on social media. He has a Twitter account where he shares updates on his research, as well as thoughts and insights on science and philosophy.