Uncovering the Truth of the Impossible: Exploring the Limits of Human Potential

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary: I think I'm going to bed.In summary, most things are impossible, but there are a few that are possible.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How many can you think of like, its impossible to pull your self up by your shoe strings.

Physics news on Phys.org
Impossible to make someone love you

There's an infinite amount of things that are impossible. I could just say it's impossible to jump to mars, then say the same thing about every other planet, moon, star or chunk of ice or rock in the universe.

I've seen someone jump to the moon. However, a dinosaur with 15 horns is likely impossible.

cronxeh said:
Actually, that's quiet easy. Many people are fake in order to get someone to fall in love with them, the problem is that they can't keep up the ruse forever.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I've seen someone jump to the moon. However, a dinosaur with 15 horns is likely impossible.

How about a cow with 2 horns, jumping over the moon?

lisab said:
How about a cow with 2 horns, jumping over the moon?
Timing is esential because, based on all pictures I've seen, it needs to be a crescent moon so that the cow doesn't have as much distance to travel.

And the cow could wait till after moon set.

Impossible also says I`m possible

Ignoring friction.

Pengwuino said:
Ignoring friction.

Pengwino not blowing a gasket while grading homework

Pengwuino said:
Ignoring friction.

It's very easy to ignore friction. Doesn't mean it's not there of course.

There are more things that are possible than impossible: If X is impossible, then not X is possible (in fact necessary). On the other hand, if X is possible, not X might also be possible, so this is not an involution

The possibility hypothesis: Is the set of things that is possible the same cardinality as the set of things which is impossible, or are they different sizes? Alternatively, is this question unanswerable?

Office_Shredder said:
There are more things that are possible than impossible: If X is impossible, then not X is possible (in fact necessary).
I think more things are impossible than possible. For instance, it is well know that barbers can't shave themselves nor can they fail to shave themselves.

While I can't say that it's absolutely impossible, I've had no success whatsoever in trying to teach a snake to tap-dance.

I know someone who can neither enter into the USA nor capable of sexual activities.

Everything has a probability, no matter how vanishingly small, of occurring.

Nothing is impossible.

Therefore, more things are possible than impossible.

Char. Limit said:
Nothing is impossible.

Obviously you've never been married.

Char. Limit said:

Nothing is impossible.

Proof?

I think not.

Ivan Seeking said:
Obviously you've never been married.

Nope.

Pengwuino said:
Proof?

I think not.

If x>0, is it not true that x>0?

Jimmy Snyder said:
I think more things are impossible than possible. For instance, it is well know that barbers can't shave themselves nor can they fail to shave themselves.

The barber's a woman!

not is a logical negation. So if the original statement is: It's impossible for barber's to shave themselves, then the negation is it's possible that barber's can not shave themselves. Basically, if something is impossible then it's possible that it's impossible. If you have a reverse inclusion or a surjection feel free to share it

Char. Limit said:
If x>0, is it not true that x>0?

If x>0, there's a small possibility that I was referring to complex numbers the whole time and there is no field ordering available

Danger said:
While I can't say that it's absolutely impossible, I've had no success whatsoever in trying to teach a snake to tap-dance.

LOL, I'm sure you could animate it some how.

Office_Shredder said:
So if the original statement is: It's impossible for barber's to shave themselves, then the negation is it's possible that barber's can not shave themselves.
I'm pretty sure that the negation of "It's impossible for barbers to shave themselves" is "It's possible for barbers to shave themselves". But Russell and Godel made the big bucks by claiming that both statements were themselves impossible.

It is impossible for this thread to reach 10,000 posts.
:cool:

It's impossible for my fingernail to form into a black hole within 5 seconds as I sit here now.

It's impossible for the entire universe to spontaneously change into a lone gecko floating in space.

I have a knack for doing the impossible. :biggrin:

pallidin said:
It's impossible for the entire universe to spontaneously change into a lone gecko floating in space.

Have to get rid of the turtle first.

wolram said:

I know a good soup recipe

wolram said:

This made me laugh, I'll admit.

cronxeh said:

too easy unfortunately.. or fortunately for some

pallidin said:
It's impossible for my fingernail to form into a black hole within 5 seconds as I sit here now.

Doesn't the uncertainty principle deem this as false?

Char. Limit said:

Nothing is impossible.

So impossibility is impossible?

Edit: This thread is fun.

Getting my teacher to push back the deadline on a paper?

Also, the integral of e^(x^2) with respect to x

ƒ(x) said:
Getting my teacher to push back the deadline on a paper?

Also, the integral of e^(x^2) with respect to x

Good one. I am successful with both of these, discretely.

cronxeh said:
Good one. I am successful with both of these, discretely.

how do you take the integral?