Undergrad Physics in 3 years?

In summary, the individual is about to begin their third year of undergrad physics at a private school and plans to graduate at the end of the year with degrees in physics and math. They have an excellent GPA and are expecting a high PGRE score. Their concern is that they do not have sufficient research experience in physics and are wondering if delaying graduation and gaining further research experience would improve their chances of getting into a top 20-30 physics grad school. They are also considering applying this year and, if not accepted, staying an extra year and applying again. They are unsure of the timing and logistics of this decision and are seeking advice from an adviser. Others in similar situations have shared that staying an extra year and gaining more research experience may
greenbeans
So I am about to begin my third year of undergrad physics at a private school with a relatively unknown physics department. Because I came into college with a lot of AP credit, I am able to graduate at the end of this year with BS degrees in both physics and math. I have an excellent GPA and am expecting a PGRE score in the 750-800 range, based on practice tests.

My worry is that I won't have sufficient physics research experience heading into grad school. I just finished an REU in theory/computation, and will continue to work on my REU project upon returning to my college. I am told that if I get results on my project, there is a reasonable chance that I can get them published.

Unfortunately, this is my only research experience. As a NCAA student-athlete, it is pretty much impossible for me to do research during the school year, since my sport+classes+homework take up so much time.

I want to get into a top 20-30 physics grad school. Should I delay graduation and stay in undergrad for a fourth year in order to gain further research experience? Or will one REU with a possible publication be enough for the admissions committees at these competitive grad schools? Appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would take a look at the applicant profiles and admission results on physicsgre forums. Here is the link from last year to get you started.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4274

You can try to find profiles similar to yours, but not many people graduate in 3 years. Is there a way for you to apply this year, and if you don't get into the schools you want, stay an extra year and apply again?

Stengah said:
I would take a look at the applicant profiles and admission results on physicsgre forums. Here is the link from last year to get you started.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4274

You can try to find profiles similar to yours, but not many people graduate in 3 years. Is there a way for you to apply this year, and if you don't get into the schools you want, stay an extra year and apply again?

I know that I have to have chosen my spring semester classes by December and I have to apply for graduation in mid-February. So it seems to me that I will have to decide when I will be graduating by December or mid-February at the latest, which I think is before I will have heard back from grad schools. There may be some way around this, but I don't know what it is.

greenbeans said:
I know that I have to have chosen my spring semester classes by December and I have to apply for graduation in mid-February. So it seems to me that I will have to decide when I will be graduating by December or mid-February at the latest, which I think is before I will have heard back from grad schools. There may be some way around this, but I don't know what it is.

Then you should probably talk to an adviser at your school who is familiar with how the system works.

I would say don't try to graduate in 3 years. I know someone who was in pretty much your same exact shoes, 3 years and they got a physics and math double major. They had a 4.0 at a decently respected/known university, and great research experience, etc. They didn't get into any PhD programs except the one at their same undergrad university. He ended up doing a master's during the 4th year, applying again to schools and going off to a different school after the one-year masters.

Given two candidates, the one who stayed the extra year and took grad level classes/got more research experience is a much better choice to offer acceptance. Grad schools won't really care how long it took you to get your degree, so graduating in 3 years really gives you no benefits, and will hurt you compared to similar candidates who stayed that extra year.

thepolishteer said:
I would say don't try to graduate in 3 years. I know someone who was in pretty much your same exact shoes, 3 years and they got a physics and math double major. They had a 4.0 at a decently respected/known university, and great research experience, etc. They didn't get into any PhD programs except the one at their same undergrad university. He ended up doing a master's during the 4th year, applying again to schools and going off to a different school after the one-year masters.

Given two candidates, the one who stayed the extra year and took grad level classes/got more research experience is a much better choice to offer acceptance. Grad schools won't really care how long it took you to get your degree, so graduating in 3 years really gives you no benefits, and will hurt you compared to similar candidates who stayed that extra year.

Wow, sounds like the grad schools were pretty harsh on your friend. Thanks for sharing; I was hoping someone had been in a similar situation and would share his/her experience.

I didn't initially plan to graduate early; it sort of just happened that after 3 years I will be done my physics degree. When I realized this, graduating early did become attractive, mainly because I pay approximately $20-25k a year at my undergrad, and saving myself a year of that expense/debt seemed like a good idea. But it seems like maybe grad schools aren't so understanding

Related to Undergrad Physics in 3 years?

1. What is the benefit of completing an undergraduate degree in physics in 3 years?

Completing an undergraduate degree in physics in 3 years can save time and money, as it allows students to enter the workforce or pursue graduate studies sooner. It also demonstrates strong academic skills and dedication.

2. Is it possible to complete all the necessary coursework for a physics degree in 3 years?

Yes, it is possible to complete all the necessary coursework for a physics degree in 3 years. However, it may require taking a heavier course load and/or attending summer sessions.

3. How can I ensure that I am able to complete a physics degree in 3 years?

To ensure that you are able to complete a physics degree in 3 years, it is important to carefully plan your course schedule and seek advice from academic advisors. It may also be helpful to take advanced placement or dual credit courses in high school.

4. Will completing a physics degree in 3 years affect my job prospects or graduate school opportunities?

Completing a physics degree in 3 years should not negatively affect your job prospects or graduate school opportunities. Employers and graduate programs value a strong academic record and relevant experience more than the length of time it took to complete a degree.

5. Are there any downsides to completing a physics degree in 3 years?

One potential downside to completing a physics degree in 3 years is that it may limit the opportunity to explore different areas of physics or participate in research projects. It may also be a more rigorous and demanding academic experience. However, these challenges can also provide valuable skills and experiences that can be beneficial in the long run.