Understanding Christoffel Identity and its Application in Differential Geometry

In summary, using the fact that ##\partial_c g_{ab} = \partial_c (\vec{e}_a \cdot \vec{e}_b) = \vec{e}_a \cdot \partial_c \vec{e}_b + \vec{e}_b \cdot \partial_c \vec{e}_a## and ##\partial_{\alpha} \vec{e}_{\beta} := \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\gamma} \vec{e}_{\gamma}##, we can show that ##\partial_c g_{ab} = \Gamma_{cb}^{d} g_{ad} + \Gamma_{ca}^{d} g_{bd}##
etotheipi
Homework Statement
We need to show that ##\Gamma_{cb}^e = \frac{1}{2}g^{ea}(\partial_c g_{ab} + \partial_b g_{ac} - \partial_a g_{cb})##
Relevant Equations
N/A
We use ##g_{\alpha \beta} = \vec{e}_{\alpha} \cdot \vec{e}_{\beta}## to show that$$\partial_c g_{ab} = \partial_c (\vec{e}_a \cdot \vec{e}_b) = \vec{e}_a \cdot \partial_c \vec{e}_b + \vec{e}_b \cdot \partial_c \vec{e}_a$$then because ##\partial_{\alpha} \vec{e}_{\beta} := \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\gamma} \vec{e}_{\gamma}##, we get$$\begin{align*}\partial_c g_{ab} = \vec{e}_a \cdot \Gamma_{cb}^{d} \vec{e}_{d} + \vec{e}_b \cdot \Gamma_{ca}^{d} \vec{e}_{d}

&= \Gamma_{cb}^{d} \vec{e}_a \cdot \vec{e}_d + \Gamma_{ca}^{d} \vec{e}_b \cdot \vec{e}_d \\

&= \Gamma_{cb}^{d} g_{ad} + \Gamma_{ca}^{d} g_{bd}

\end{align*}$$Now I am uncertain as to how to proceed. I wonder if someone can give me a hint? I try contracting both sides with ##g^{ea}## but I can't see how that helps. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not certain what you know about Christoffel symbols at this point. If you are allowed to use that ##\Gamma^a_{bc}=\Gamma^a_{cb}## then you can permute the indices in your last expression and use that symmetry to get three equations in three terms like ##\Gamma^\cdot_{\cdot\cdot}g_{\cdot\cdot}##. That ought to get you where you're going.

Likes etotheipi
Thanks! I'll write out my solution then, using this fact about symmetry in the downstairs indices of the Christoffel symbols,$$\begin{align*}
\partial_c g_{ab} &= \Gamma_{bc}^d g_{ad} + \Gamma_{ca}^d g_{bd} \\
\partial_b g_{ca} &= \Gamma_{ab}^d g_{cd} + \Gamma_{bc}^d g_{ad} \\
\partial_a g_{bc} &= \Gamma_{ca}^d g_{bd} + \Gamma_{ab}^d g_{cd}
\end{align*}$$It follows that$$\partial_c g_{ab} + \partial_b g_{ca} - \partial_a g_{bc} = 2\Gamma_{bc}^d g_{ad}$$Now I halve both sides, and contract both sides with ##g^{ea}##, making use of the identity ##g^{\alpha \beta}g_{\beta \gamma} = \delta^{\alpha}_{\gamma}##,$$\frac{1}{2} g^{ea} \left(\partial_c g_{ab} + \partial_b g_{ca} - \partial_a g_{bc} \right) = \Gamma_{bc}^d g^{ea} g_{ad} = \Gamma^e_{bc}$$Nice! Muchas gracias señor Ibix!

Likes PhDeezNutz and Ibix

1. What is Christoffel identity and why is it important in differential geometry?

Christoffel identity is a mathematical concept that relates the derivatives of a metric tensor to its components. In differential geometry, it is used to calculate the curvature of a manifold, which is an essential aspect of understanding the geometry of curved spaces.

2. How is Christoffel identity derived?

Christoffel identity is derived from the fundamental theorem of Riemannian geometry, which states that the covariant derivative of a tensor is equal to the partial derivative plus a correction term involving the Christoffel symbols. By applying this theorem to the metric tensor, we can derive the Christoffel identity.

3. What are the applications of Christoffel identity in differential geometry?

Christoffel identity is used to calculate the Riemann curvature tensor, which is a fundamental quantity in differential geometry. It is also used in the study of geodesics, which are the shortest paths on a curved surface, and in the formulation of the Einstein field equations in general relativity.

4. Can Christoffel identity be extended to non-Riemannian manifolds?

Yes, Christoffel identity can be extended to non-Riemannian manifolds, such as pseudo-Riemannian manifolds, which are used in the study of semi-Riemannian geometry. In these cases, the Christoffel symbols are replaced by the connection coefficients, but the underlying concept remains the same.

5. How does Christoffel identity relate to other concepts in differential geometry?

Christoffel identity is closely related to other concepts in differential geometry, such as the Levi-Civita connection, which is a metric-compatible connection on a Riemannian manifold. It is also related to the curvature tensor, which measures the deviation from Euclidean geometry on a curved surface.