Understanding Circuit Diagrams: Ideal Conductors and Physical Components

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a 20.0-V battery, an 8.00-Ω resistor, and a 200.0-Ω battery. It is determined that the current in the 20.0-V battery is 5.00A in the direction shown, and the voltage across the 8.00-Ω resistor is 16.0V with the lower end at a higher potential. The task is to find the EMF of the battery and the polarity of the battery. The conversation also delves into finding the current and direction of the current through the 200.0-Ω battery, and clarifying how the circuit can be redrawn without affecting its functionality.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown in the figure http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/ffa3225e-0730-480c-8ed0-f417490d6b96.jpeg[/COLOR] , the current in the 20.0-V battery is 5.00A in the direction shown and the voltage across the 8.00-Ω resistor is 16.0V , with the lower end of the resistor at higher potential. Find the emf of the battery .
Part B
Find the polarity of the battery .

the upper terminal -
the upper terminal +

Part C
Find the current through the 200.0- battery.
Part D
Find the direction of the current through the 200.0- battery.

The current through the 200.0 battery is in the direction from the - to the + terminal.
The current through the 200.0 battery is in the direction from the + to the - terminal.

Part E
Find the resistance .

Homework Equations

Kirrchoff's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to use the laws well. I thought that since there is a pd of 16 across the 8 ohm resistor so there is a 2A moving up this line. When it came to the junction I'm lost. In the SM, they say that we can combine the unknown R as parallel ones. We can also combine the 30 and 20 ohm resistors as parallel. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? ... We can never assume they are parallel. I need clarification!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown in the figure http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/ffa3225e-0730-480c-8ed0-f417490d6b96.jpeg[/COLOR] , the current in the 20.0-V battery is 5.00A in the direction shown and the voltage across the 8.00-Ω resistor is 16.0V , with the lower end of the resistor at higher potential. Find the emf of the battery .
Part B
Find the polarity of the battery .

the upper terminal -
the upper terminal +

Part C
Find the current through the 200.0- battery.
Part D
Find the direction of the current through the 200.0- battery.

The current through the 200.0 battery is in the direction from the - to the + terminal.
The current through the 200.0 battery is in the direction from the + to the - terminal.

Part E
Find the resistance .

Homework Equations

Kirrchoff's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to use the laws well. I thought that since there is a pd of 16 across the 8 ohm resistor so there is a 2A moving up this line. When it came to the junction I'm lost. In the SM, they say that we can combine the unknown R as parallel ones. We can also combine the 30 and 20 ohm resistors as parallel. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? ... We can never assume they are parallel. I need clarification!

attachment.php?attachmentid=58033&stc=1&d=1366406536.jpg

The SM (whatever that is) is correct.

The conductor common to an end of all of the resistors can be thought of as one big junction -- which you redraw any way you want, as long as you continue to make contact with the same end of each of the conductors.

There is zero voltage drop anywhere in that piece of conductor.

Attachments

• ffa3225e-0730-480c-8ed0-f417490d6b96.jpeg
    ffa3225e-0730-480c-8ed0-f417490d6b96.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2,642
ehabmozart said:

Homework Statement

Are you given the polarity of the voltage across the 8.00 Ω resistor? Otherwise, how are you to know the direction of the current flowing through it?

Does "X" represent a third battery for which you're to find the EMF?

SammyS said:

The conductor common to an end of all of the resistors can be thought of as one big junction -- which you redraw any way you want, as long as you continue to make contact with the same end of each of the conductors.

Can't really get ur point!?? Please clarify

ehabmozart said:
Can't really get ur point!?? Please clarify

What's an "ur point"? Please clarify. :devil:

gneill said:
What's an "ur point"? Please clarify. :devil:

I think you find it at the very tip of an "ur" ... don't 'cha think ?

These two circuits are the same..

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,235
SammyS said:

I am sorry about my previous reply. I was a bit asleep and tired. I hope you aren't sad about it. Anyway, you said here we can think the ends to be one big junction. I don't really get this part. How is it possible. There are more than one emf source. That's why we use Kirrchoff's Rules!

CWatters said:
These two circuits are the same..

That was a good attachment. But HOW can we say they are the same. What are the roles of the junctions then?

ehabmozart said:
That was a good attachment. But HOW can we say they are the same. What are the roles of the junctions then?

Junctions attach components to nodes. Nodes are contiguous zero-resistance conducting paths, all at the same potential. It makes no difference where on a given node a component is connected.

Connections to a node can be moved anywhere, so long as they remain connected to that node. It is the mathematical topology that determines the circuit, not artistic license :smile:

Compare a circuit diagram with an actual piece of equipment. The lines on a circuit represent ideal conductors. Their shape need not be the same as the wires or tracks on the actual printed circuit board.

Good example is a car. The whole chassis is used as a 0V node. Anywhere you need 0V you can drill a hole in the chassis and fix a wire. The wiring diagram doesn't need to inclued a 3D drawing of the car chassis. Electrically all points on the chassis behave similarly. On the circuit you can just show a sybmol representing a connection to the chassis.

Related to Understanding Circuit Diagrams: Ideal Conductors and Physical Components

1. How do I measure EMF and resistance in a circuit?

In order to measure EMF and resistance in a circuit, you will need a voltmeter and an ammeter. The voltmeter is used to measure the voltage (EMF) and the ammeter is used to measure the current. Once you have these tools, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance.

2. What is the difference between EMF and voltage?

EMF (Electromotive Force) is the total amount of energy that is supplied to a circuit by a source, while voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit. In simpler terms, EMF is the source of energy and voltage is the amount of energy being used.

3. Can EMF and resistance affect each other?

Yes, EMF and resistance are directly proportional to each other. This means that as resistance increases, the EMF also increases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law (V=IR).

4. How does temperature affect EMF and resistance?

Temperature can have an impact on both EMF and resistance. In most cases, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in resistance. However, in some materials (such as semiconductors), an increase in temperature can lead to a decrease in resistance.

5. What are some common sources of EMF in a circuit?

Some common sources of EMF in a circuit include batteries, generators, and solar cells. These sources provide the necessary energy to power the circuit and allow current to flow.