Understanding Direction of Wave Propagation with Poincaire Sphere

In summary, the Poincaire Sphere is a visual representation of the polarization state of a TEM wave. An example is given of a uniform plane TEM wave traveling in the +z direction, composed of two linearly polarized TEM waves with electric fields in the X and Y direction. The resultant wave is left-handed circularly polarized and is represented by the north pole point on the Poincaire Sphere. However, when the wave travels in the -z direction, the resultant wave should be right-handed circularly polarized, but it is still plotted on the north pole point. This raises the question of how the direction of propagation is taken into account when plotting the polarization state on the Poincaire Sphere.
ask_LXXXVI
My doubt arises because I couldn't understand how a Poincaire Sphere gives us info about direction of propagation of wave. Now as we know Poincaire sphere is a neat way of showing the polarization state of an TEM wave. Now ,let me give an example to illustrate my doubt : -

Let us take a uniform plane TEM wave traveling in +z direction which is composed of two linearly polarised TEM waves , one whose electric field lies in X direction , the other whose electric field lies in Y direction . Let us take the case of circular polarisation
so we take ,

Ex = E0 cos([tex]\omega[/tex] t - [tex]\beta[/tex] z) ax
Ey = E0 cos([tex]\omega[/tex] t - [tex]\beta[/tex] z + [tex]\pi[/tex]\2) ay

Now the resultant TEM wave has the Electric field vector left handed circularly polarised .
On the Poincaire Sphere this will be given by the north pole point.
Suppose we had same wave but traveling in -ve z direction.
Ex = E0 cos([tex]\omega[/tex] t + [tex]\beta[/tex] z) ax
Ey = E0 cos([tex]\omega[/tex] t + [tex]\beta[/tex] z + [tex]\pi[/tex]\2) ay
So the wave should be right handed circularly polarised(I hope I am right here ) . Now as far as I know , while plotting the polarisation state on the Poincaire sphere we simply take the Phase difference between the two waves and the ratio of their magnitudes into consideration .So according to me , this wave will also be plotted on the north pole point.

Isn't this a discrepancy (maybe of my understanding) that a right handed circular polarised wave is getting plotted to north pole. So do we invert the Poincaire sphere if we reverse direction of propagation of wave?

My doubt basically boils down to this - while plotting Polarisation state of a TEM wave on a Poincaire sphere , how is the direction of propagation of the TEM wave taken into account ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

please help in solving my doubt! I hope I was clear in stating the doubt!

1. What is the Poincaire Sphere and how is it used in understanding wave propagation?

The Poincaire Sphere is a geometrical representation of all possible states of polarization for an electromagnetic wave. It is used in understanding wave propagation by visualizing the direction of wave propagation and how it changes as the wave interacts with different materials and environments.

2. How can the Poincaire Sphere help in understanding the polarization of light?

The Poincaire Sphere can help in understanding the polarization of light by representing the various states of polarization, such as linear, circular, and elliptical, on a single sphere. This allows for a better understanding of how light waves interact with different materials and how the polarization state changes.

3. What is the relationship between the Poincaire Sphere and the polarization ellipse?

The Poincaire Sphere and the polarization ellipse are both geometrical representations of the polarization state of light. The Poincaire Sphere shows all possible states of polarization, while the polarization ellipse shows the specific polarization state at a given point in space and time.

4. How does the Poincaire Sphere help in understanding the direction of wave propagation?

The Poincaire Sphere helps in understanding the direction of wave propagation by showing the orientation of the electric field vector as the wave travels through different materials and environments. This allows for a visual representation of how the direction of propagation changes due to interactions with the medium.

5. Can the Poincaire Sphere be used to analyze the polarization of any type of wave?

Yes, the Poincaire Sphere can be used to analyze the polarization of any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and seismic waves. It is a versatile tool that can be applied to various fields of science and engineering to understand the direction of wave propagation and polarization states.