Understanding Electron Spin and its Effect on Protons

In summary: So if you use the correct expression for spin, it would have to be faster than the speed of light. But it's not possible, so this argument fails.
it will be a small repulsive or attractive force which would lead to somehow higher and lower energy state (so the ground state would require antiparallel spins). What is the problem about that? It comes from the coupling of magnetic field with the spin.
It doesn't make the spin as the classical angular momentum in anyway. The angular momentum is given by a cross product of position and momentum. This is not true for the spin

Physics news on Phys.org
harjot singh said:
but the thing is whether the magnetic field produced by suppose a particle will show repulsion or attraction on the basis of its charge or due to its spin?

I think you need to read up on basic electromagnetism, as you don't seem to understand the classical concepts and without them the quantum mechanics would be even more confusing. I've found 2 repeated issues that make your questions nonsensical:

1) The magnetic force is velocity-dependent so you can't talk about attraction or repulsion without specifying velocities. However, to try to answer your question: the magnetic effects are due to BOTH charge and spin angular momentum. Neutrinos have no magnetic field, but they have spin (neutrons are made of charged quarks so they have magnetic moments). Similarly a charged scalar particle would have charge but no spin, and have no intrinsic magnetic field

2) The terms "spin up" and "spin down" only make sense relative to some fixed coordinate basis, like in reference to an external magnetic field. Using the words "up" and "down" implicitly turns a vector quantity (spin direction) into a scalar by taking its dot product relative to some OTHER vector. The concept of spin makes a lot more sense when you deal with the vector quantity rather than some arbitrary scalar

Last edited:
Actually i appreciate your answer to my question but still i want to know how spin and charge can create magnetic dipole which according to me is superficial because i am still on my point that magnetic field is on the basis of spin.Although with your example of neutrino you have proved it but still explain me how magnetic field can be "created" by charge and spin?just explain me everything and not just a normal as we generally do.

Regards
Harjot

Harjot Singh, you have received some excellent advice on what you need to study to understand the question you have asked. "Explain me everything" is not how we operate here, for the simple reason that it doesn't work. If you want to learn, you need to put a certain amount of effort in.