What Do Fourier Series Actually Reveal About Signals?

In summary, Fourier series can be used to decompose a signal into its spectral components, and can be used to generate any shaped waveform you wish.
MartinV05
I've just started learning Fourier series and I'm having trouble understanding it. What do they actually do? And what does the amplitude-frequency show me? I'm asking as a rookie in signal analysis, so if you could explain it to me as simple as you can it will be of great help.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a way to measure many scales of your signal at once. If you can represent a function with a Fourier series, you can decompose the function into components, and each component can be characterized by an amplitude and frequency.

So if you have a signal with 60 Hz in it, you could decompose it into it's spectral components, subtract all components with a frequency near 60 Hz, then transform it back into a signal and the 60 Hz will have magically disappeared... along with any component of your signal that was 60 Hz (that's the sacrifice you make).

Or... if you have an unfamiliar set of signals, you could begin to characterize them by their chief frequencies.

MartinV05 said:
I've just started learning Fourier series and I'm having trouble understanding it. What do they actually do? And what does the amplitude-frequency show me?
If you add a lot of sinusoids together, carefully adjusting the amplitude and frequency (and phase) of each, you can generate any shaped waveform you wish, triangle wave, rectangular wave, square wave with a blip on the rising edge, the waveshape of a heartbeat on an ECG, the electrical interference from a distant lightning bolt, etc., etc., any complex waveform you care to nominate.

The amplitude vs frequency list describes the sinusoids you need to achieve this feat.

NascentOxygen said:
you can generate any shaped waveform you wish

That's not entirely true, of course; there are lots of places where it fails, but for most functions you can get a good approximation.

Ok guys, thank you so much. I think I got it!
Cheers

Related to What Do Fourier Series Actually Reveal About Signals?

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components and understand its behavior.

Why is understanding Fourier series important?

Fourier series have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. They are used to analyze and model periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and other physical systems. They also have applications in signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis.

How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by decomposing a periodic function into its constituent sinusoidal components using the Fourier transform. This involves finding the coefficients for each term in the series, which represent the amplitude and phase of the sinusoidal functions.

What are the key concepts to understand in Fourier series?

The key concepts in understanding Fourier series include periodic functions, complex numbers, trigonometric functions, and the Fourier transform. It is also important to understand how to calculate the coefficients for each term in the series and how to interpret them.

Can Fourier series be applied to non-periodic functions?

Yes, Fourier series can be extended to represent non-periodic functions by using the Fourier transform. This is known as the Fourier integral and allows us to analyze and model non-periodic phenomena as well.