Understanding Kirchhoff's Laws: Solving a Parallel Circuit Problem

In summary: No. I don't understand why you insist on equating current to resistance. They have different units. Current is in Amps, while resistance is in Ohms. For an equation to be correct, units must always agree.Two resistors in parallel must have the same potential (voltage) across them. If R1 and R2 are the resistances and the currents through them are I1 and I2 respectively, then by Ohm's law the relationshipI1*R1 = I2*R2 ...(equating the voltage drops across each resistor due to their currents)must hold. If the total current is I0 = I1 + I2
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

35mo3ty.jpg

my work

vcw4fa.jpg

I know part A is incorrect because for my part B my quadratic contains an imaginary,which I doubt he would due. Some help would be awesome since it is due tomorrow, and will probably be on the exam as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part A looks correct to me. However, in part B, i guess you missed that there are two Ro resistors instead of 2Ro. Rewrite the equation.

Hmm so what you are saying is.

Req= R0 + (2ReqR0/Req+2R0)+R0 ?

If that were the case couldn't I could the R0's and just have a single 2R0?

Thanks for the help btw

Mdhiggenz said:
Hmm so what you are saying is.

Req= R0 + (2ReqR0/Req+2R0)+R0 ?
Yes, i mean that.
If that were the case couldn't I could the R0's and just have a single 2R0?

Yes you can have single 2R_o, but you have included two 2R0 in the equation you posted.

Excellent I got Req= 1+-√5, and I use the positive value

Now in part c.

I'm a bit confused as to what I use.

I tried further condensing the picture I came up with in part A but that made no sense, then I reread what they are asking and I suppose I use the original picture and using kirchhoffs rule around the loop from acbd as labeled in the picture. However looking at the picture acbd does not include i1 so should I include acebdf?

Thank you

Mdhiggenz said:
Now in part c.

I'm a bit confused as to what I use.

I tried further condensing the picture I came up with in part A but that made no sense, then I reread what they are asking and I suppose I use the original picture and using kirchhoffs rule around the loop from acbd as labeled in the picture. However looking at the picture acbd does not include i1 so should I include acebdf?

Thank you

You might want to think in terms of KCL rather than KVL. Effectively the current entering the junction divides into two paths and subsequently rejoins at another junction. You happen to know the resistances of the two paths, so you can work out how the current divides between the paths.

I'm still rather confused, because I think I can solve for I1 using simply junction C.

I know that R0 is going in junction C and R0 is going out of junction C

But it doesn't add up unless I reverse the direction of one of the junctions.

For example, R0+R0=2R0 Obeys KCL

In which i1 would be 2R0.

Mdhiggenz said:
I'm still rather confused, because I think I can solve for I1 using simply junction C.

I know that R0 is going in junction C and R0 is going out of junction C

But it doesn't add up unless I reverse the direction of one of the junctions.

For example, R0+R0=2R0 Obeys KCL

In which i1 would be 2R0.

R0 is a resistance, not a current.

The network after the junction has equivalent resistance Req, so the current io divides between the resistance 2Ro and Req.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52286&stc=1&d=1351134423.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1 KB · Views: 549
So I0=Ix+i1

That much I understand,

What I don't understand is how do I use the relationship of Req and 2Ro to solve for I1.

The way you drew the picture it seems that i1 is = to Req?

Mdhiggenz said:
So I0=Ix+i1

That much I understand,

What I don't understand is how do I use the relationship of Req and 2Ro to solve for I1.

The way you drew the picture it seems that i1 is = to Req?

Resistance is not current.

You might want to look up "current divider". Like the voltage divider, it's one of the more handy circuits to know the math for.

I looked one up online, and want to make sure I have it correct.

It would be I0(Req)=I1

Where I0 is = to R0

Mdhiggenz said:
I looked one up online, and want to make sure I have it correct.

It would be I0(Req)=I1

Where I0 is = to R0

No. I don't understand why you insist on equating current to resistance. They have different units. Current is in Amps, while resistance is in Ohms. For an equation to be correct, units must always agree.

Two resistors in parallel must have the same potential (voltage) across them. If R1 and R2 are the resistances and the currents through them are I1 and I2 respectively, then by Ohm's law the relationship

I1*R1 = I2*R2 ...(equating the voltage drops across each resistor due to their currents)

must hold. If the total current is I0 = I1 + I2, where I0 is a given (known) value, then you have two equations in two unknowns I1 and I2 which you should be able to solve for.

Last edited:

What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Law refers to two principles in circuit analysis: Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of all currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. KVL states that the sum of all voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that loop.

How do you apply Kirchhoff's Law to solve circuit problems?

To apply Kirchhoff's Law, you first need to identify the nodes and loops in the circuit. Then, using KCL, you can write equations for each node based on the currents entering and leaving that node. Similarly, using KVL, you can write equations for each loop based on the voltage drops and sources in that loop. Finally, you can solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown values in the circuit.

What are the assumptions made in Kirchhoff's Law?

The main assumptions made in Kirchhoff's Law are that the circuit is in a steady-state condition, meaning that the currents and voltages do not change with time. Additionally, the laws assume that the circuit is linear, meaning that the components in the circuit (such as resistors) have a constant relationship between voltage and current.

Can Kirchhoff's Law be applied to all types of circuits?

Kirchhoff's Law can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit or a more complex circuit with multiple loops and nodes. However, for non-linear circuits, such as circuits with diodes or transistors, the laws may not be as accurate and other methods may need to be used.

What are the limitations of Kirchhoff's Law?

One limitation of Kirchhoff's Law is that it assumes ideal conditions, such as no resistance in wires and perfect voltage sources. In reality, these ideal conditions do not exist and can affect the accuracy of the law's predictions. Additionally, the laws do not take into account the effects of inductance and capacitance in a circuit, which can be significant in high-frequency circuits.