Understanding Kirchoff's Law: Solving for Current and Voltage in a Circuit

In summary, the problem involves finding the current (i) and voltage (uab) in a circuit using Kirchoff's law of conservation of current and applying the current division principle to determine the current flow through parallel resistors. The total current flowing into the circuit is 14 A, and the potential difference between points A and B is 0. The potential difference between points A and C is 24 V, determined by the current (i4) flowing through the 4 Ω resistor or (i3) through the 3 Ω resistor.
crom1

Homework Statement

See the picture. I have to find ## i ## and ## u_{ab} ##.

Homework Equations

[/B]Well, as the thread name says, Kirchoff law ## \sum_{k=1}^{n} i_k=0 ## , that is algebraic sum of currents in one point is 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first I tried to set up few equations from points A,B,C,D and it didn't seemed to lead me nowhere. And I am confused about ## R=0 ## part, does that mean that current flows only where ## R=0 ## or it doesn't ?
Does the part where ## R=3 \Omega ## and ## R= 4 \Omega ## matters while calculating ## i ## or only when we are trying to find ## u_{ab} ##?

Attachments

• zadatak.png
    zadatak.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to do is to consider the circuit topology rather than its geography. That is, consider the wiring to be perfect wires and replace that R = 0 with a wire, too. Identify the nodes. How many essential nodes are there?

Yes, the 3 Ω and 4 Ω resistors will matter -- the current flowing through them creates the potential drop that is your ##u_{ab}##.

Well, I guess 4 of them-A,B,C,D . And I wrote 4 equations but I have 5 unknowns - ##i , i_1 , i_2 ##and currents that flow from D to A and from C to B. (also current from D to C)
How should I find those two currents ?

EDIT: Is it something like this: If ## i_x ## is current from A to D, and ## i_y ## from B to C:

From node A

## 10=i+i_x ##

And from node B: ## i+4=i_y ## and from there ##i_x+i_y= 14 ## and since ## u_{ad}= u_{bc} \Rightarrow 4 i_y = 3 i_x ##

solving that we get ## i_x = 6 ## and ## i_y = 8 ## so ## i=4 A##

Last edited:
If the above is correct, then I have one more question. For example when we have parallel resistors, we would calculate the current flowing through them with ## I=I_1+I_2 ## and ## I_1 R_1 = I_2 R_2 ## , and conclusion is that where the resistance is bigger, the current is smaller. Then why does any current flow from A to D (and from D to A) ?
Why doesn't the ##10 A## just go from A to B, and why doesn't ## i_1## go from D to C when there is resistance from D to A , and in the problem they say R=0 ?

Topologically there are only two nodes in the circuit. Points A and B are locations on one node (call it node AB). Since R = 0, DC is also a single node. Remember, a node is the entirety of any path that is comprised of perfect conductor (wires).

There's a total of 14 A flowing into node AB (that's a given). By Kirchoff, that current must also leave the node somehow. The sum must be zero. The only paths available are via the two resistors. Now, since both resistors are connected at both of their ends (they are in parallel) thanks to R being zero, you can apply the current division principle to work out how much of that 14 A goes through each. You've stated the equations underlying the principle in your post above (#4).

Fig1.png

You can also conclude that the total of 14 A must leave the circuit via ##i_1## and ##i_2##, but without additional information you can't tell how the 14 A will be divided between them.

Going back to the "geographic" view of the circuit, what can you say about the potential difference between A and B (that is, what is ##u_{ab}##?

Likes crom1
Thank you for your answer, it's much clearer now. Finding voltage (potential difference ) is easy when you know the currents.## u_{ab} ## is clearly 0, but I was looking for ## u_{ac} ## (my mistake , I wrote in #1 ##u_{ab}##) which is also very easy to find, its ## i_4 \cdot 4 \Omega## or ## i_3 \cdot 3 \Omega = 24 V##.

Yup. Well done.

What is Kirchoff's law for current?

Kirchoff's law for current, also known as Kirchoff's current law or KCL, states that the total current flowing into a junction or node in a circuit is equal to the total current flowing out of the junction or node.

What is the importance of Kirchoff's law for current in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's law for current is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis and is used to determine unknown currents in a circuit. It allows us to apply conservation of charge and to solve complex circuits with multiple branches and loops.

How is Kirchoff's law for current applied in circuit analysis?

To apply Kirchoff's law for current in circuit analysis, we first identify all the junctions or nodes in the circuit. Then, we write an equation for each junction, setting the sum of all incoming currents equal to the sum of all outgoing currents. Finally, we solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown currents.

Can Kirchoff's law for current be violated?

No, Kirchoff's law for current is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. If the sum of currents at a junction is not equal to zero, it means that there is an error in the circuit analysis or in the circuit itself.

Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's law for current?

Kirchoff's law for current assumes that all current flows through closed loops in a circuit. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state and that the resistors in the circuit do not change over time. These limitations must be considered when applying Kirchoff's law for current in circuit analysis.