Understanding Lorentz Force: Accelerating a Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Lorentz force, which is the resultant force acting on a charged particle in a magnetic field. The force is a combination of the forces due to the electric field and the magnetic field. In the given situation, a wire mounted on two parallel rails experiences acceleration due to the interaction between the electric current flowing through it and the magnetic field between the rails. The force due to the electric field causes the movement of electrons through the wire, while the force due to the magnetic field causes the acceleration of the wire. The Lorentz force acts on moving charge carriers in magnetic fields, causing them to push against the sides of the wire and accelerate it. The conversation also raises questions about the effects
Seatl
I'm having difficulty with this whole concept

I understand that the Lorentz force is the force acting on a charged particle in a magnetic field, and that it is the resultant of the forces due to the electic field and the magnetic field.

The situation which I am applying this to is a (non-ferous) wire, free to move, mounted on two parrellel rails. A current flows and a magnetic field is created between the two rails - the wire accelerates along the rails.

I -ve
------------------------------------------
I
I --->
I
------------------------------------------
I +ve

Am I correct in thinking that the force due to the electrical field simply causes the movement of the electrons through the wire? If this is the case, how does the magnetic force cause the acceleration of the wire? On what exactly does the force act on? As much detail as possible please.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can think of it as the electrons in the wire wanting to go in whichever direction, but they keep banging up against the side of the wire. They'll push the wire along and cause it to accelerate.

Ok, so the Lorentz force acts on moving charge carriers in magnetic fields. But why? How does a magnetic flux affect an electrically charged particle?

Related to Understanding Lorentz Force: Accelerating a Wire

1. What is Lorentz Force?

Lorentz Force is the force that is exerted on a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field. It is a combination of electric and magnetic forces, and is responsible for the motion of charged particles in various situations.

2. How does Lorentz Force accelerate a wire?

When a wire carrying an electric current is placed in a magnetic field, the Lorentz Force acts on the free electrons in the wire. This force causes the electrons to move in a specific direction, resulting in the wire as a whole being accelerated in that direction.

3. What is the equation for calculating Lorentz Force?

The equation for calculating Lorentz Force is F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect Lorentz Force?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the direction of Lorentz Force. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the particle's motion, the force will be at right angles to both the velocity and the magnetic field. If the magnetic field is parallel to the particle's motion, there will be no force acting on the particle.

5. In what real-life applications is Lorentz Force used?

Lorentz Force is used in a variety of real-life applications, including particle accelerators, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in devices such as mass spectrometers and cathode ray tubes.