Understanding Magnetic Field Direction from Two Wires at a Distance

In summary: In short, the x-axis points in the direction of the magnetic field, which is due to the wire, but it becomes weaker the further away you are from the wire.
Jstuff
You have two wires an equal distance above and below the x-axis the top wire comes out of the page and the bottom wire goes into the page.
Finally, consider point X (not shown in the diagram) located on the x axis very far away in the positive x direction. Which of the vectors best represents the direction of the magnetic field created at point X by wire 1 alone?
Hey guys I am confused on this problem I know the answer is the field will point in the positive Y direction, but I do not understand why.
I thought it would point in the positive x direction because of the right hand rule.
How does the fact that the particles are at a very far distance effect the direction of the magnetic field since the direction of the field would not change it would just become weaker. Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch a set of axes, and mark on it the top wire, and point X far to the right.

I've done this. From this and using the right hand rule the magnetic field would point along the x axis. How does the fact that it is very far away on the axis change the direction of the magnetic field?

What is the direction of propagation? What direction is the electric field?
The way I understand this, your E field will be oriented with the wire (+Z), and propagation is in the (+X) direction.

Well the direction of propagation to my understanding is to the right in the +X direction. However, the answer is that it propagates in the +Y direction from the top wire which I do not understand.

This question was posted 6 years ago, but for anyone else confused here's why the the top wire makes a B field that points straight up at a point really far away:

Lets assume you're infinitely far away from the wire. When your that far away, the distance that wire 1 is above the x-axis becomes so small that you can't even see it. Essentially, the wire acts as if its directly on-top of the x-axis. This means that the tangent line on the x-axis infinitely far away is straight up. I hope that makes sense!

Likes Tom.G

1. How does the magnetic field from two wires interact with each other?

The magnetic field from two wires interacts through a force known as the Lorentz force. This force is the result of charged particles in the wires moving and creating a magnetic field, which then exerts a force on each other.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field from two wires?

The strength of the magnetic field from two wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the current flowing through the wires, and the angle between the wires.

3. Can the magnetic field from two wires cancel out each other?

Yes, the magnetic field from two wires can cancel out each other if the currents in the wires are equal and flowing in opposite directions. This is known as a zero net magnetic field.

4. How can the direction of the magnetic field from two wires be determined?

The direction of the magnetic field from two wires can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current in one wire and curl your fingers towards the other wire. The direction your fingers point in is the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Can the magnetic field from two wires be manipulated for practical use?

Yes, the magnetic field from two wires can be manipulated for practical use, such as in electromagnets or electric motors. By varying the current and direction of the wires, the strength and direction of the magnetic field can be controlled to perform specific tasks.