Understanding Memristors: Breaking the Symmetry of Circuit Elements

• Thread starter hikarusteinitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetry
In summary, the fourth fundamental circuit element, the memristor, was conceived to relate the equations for charge, flux, current, and voltage. While some argue that a new device was not necessary for this relationship, the symmetry of equations for capacitors, inductors, and resistors is broken with the introduction of the memristor. The memristor's value, dependent on charge, makes it a special case of a resistor with a constant value.
hikarusteinitz
I'm confused about the need for a fourth fundamental circuit element. I learned that the idea of the memristor was conceived by observing the symmetry of the equations for charge, flux, current and voltage. We have, i=dq/dt , v=dphi/dt. Rrom the three elements: dV=Rdi, dphi=Ldi, and dq=Cdi. There is a missing relationship between dphi and dq, so the memristance was postulated as dphi=Mdq.

I don't think a new device had to be invented just to relate dphi with dq. A resistor follows the equation dv=Rdi, or V=IR for an ideal resistor. Since V=dphi/dt and and I=dq/dt then, dphi/dt=R(dq/dt). Then dphi=Rdq. Why is memristance still needed when resistance can relate flux and charge?

The equations for delta to wye transform and parallel and series arrangements for capacitors resembles that for conductances, while that for inductors resemble that of a resistor. creating another component breaks that symmetry. In AC analysis the impedance of a resistor is R, that of a capacitor is -jXc and that of an inductor is jXl for symmetry that of a memristor should be -M? a negative resistance?

Engineering news on Phys.org
M depends on q, while R does not depend on q. It is not a perfect symmetry, and you could call a resistor a special case of a memristor with constant M.

1. What is a memristor?

A memristor is a type of electronic component that has the ability to remember the amount of charge that has passed through it. It is the fourth fundamental circuit element, along with the resistor, capacitor, and inductor.

2. How does a memristor work?

A memristor works by changing its resistance based on the amount of current that has previously flowed through it. This change in resistance is non-volatile, meaning it can be maintained even when the power is turned off.

3. What are the potential applications of memristors?

Memristors have the potential to be used in a variety of electronic devices, including memory storage, logic circuits, and neuromorphic computing. They could also lead to the development of smaller and more efficient electronic devices.

4. What is the significance of "Symmetry" in relation to memristors?

"Symmetry" refers to the type of memristor developed by HP Labs in 2008, which has a symmetrical voltage-current relationship. This means that the resistance of the memristor changes the same amount regardless of the direction of current flow.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges with using memristors?

One limitation of memristors is that they are still in the early stages of development, so their full potential has not yet been realized. Additionally, manufacturing reliable and consistent memristors at a large scale is a challenge that researchers are still working on overcoming.