Understanding Momentum Conservation in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation discussed the velocity of a combined mass using conservation of momentum and the calculation of the new equilibrium position and amplitude for simple harmonic motion after the second mass coalesces with the first.
Prabs3257
Homework Statement
A block A of mass m is in equilibrium after being suspended from the ceiling with the help of a spring of force constant k. The block B of mass m strikes the block A with a speed v and sticks to it.The value of v for which the spring just attains its natural length is
Relevant Equations
Momentum conservation
I first got the velocity of the combined mass with conservation of momentum and as it was in the mean position the velocity can be written as v = wA ( w= angular frequency , A = amplitude ) as we have to take it back to natural length i put A as the initial extension but i am getting a wrong ans can someone please tell me what i did wrong . Please refer to my work in the attachment below
IMG-20200718-WA0001.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200718_015323.jpg
    Screenshot_20200718_015323.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 123
Physics news on Phys.org
As soon as the second mass coalesces with the first, the new mass starts to perform simple harmonic motion about a new equilibrium position. Determine the position of this new equilibrium and then use that ##\frac{v}{2} = \omega_2 \sqrt{A_2^2 - x^2}## for the necessary new amplitude ##A_2## so that it just reaches natural length at the top of the motion.

etotheipi said:
As soon as the second mass coalesces with the first, the new mass starts to perform simple harmonic motion about a new equilibrium position. Determine the position of this new equilibrium and then use that ##\frac{v}{2} = \omega_2 \sqrt{A_2^2 - x^2}## for the necessary new amplitude ##A_2## so that it just reaches natural length at the top of the motion.
Thanks a lot man i got the answer

Likes etotheipi

1. What is momentum conservation in SHM?

Momentum conservation in SHM (simple harmonic motion) refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system undergoing SHM remains constant. This means that the total amount of force and velocity in the system must remain constant throughout the motion.

2. How does momentum conservation relate to SHM?

In SHM, the restoring force (usually provided by a spring) is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that as the object moves back and forth, the force and velocity are constantly changing, but the total momentum remains the same.

3. Why is momentum conservation important in SHM?

Momentum conservation is important in SHM because it helps us understand the behavior of the system and allows us to make accurate predictions about its motion. It also helps us to conserve energy in the system, as the total energy is directly related to the total momentum.

4. Does momentum conservation always hold true in SHM?

Yes, momentum conservation always holds true in SHM as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the system must be isolated and free from any outside influences in order for momentum conservation to apply.

5. How is momentum conserved in SHM?

Momentum is conserved in SHM because the net force acting on the system is always zero. This means that the total momentum before and after the motion remains the same. As the object oscillates back and forth, the force and velocity are constantly changing, but the total momentum of the system remains constant.