Understanding Ohms: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter SaraF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ohms
In summary, the conversation discusses the physical understanding of the unit combination for "ohm" using dimensional analysis. The conclusion is that an ohm is reciprocal velocity and that the electric field may be what is moving.
SaraF

Homework Statement

This is not exactly a homework problem, but it's one that marks me as a beginner: is there an intuitive physical understanding, using dimensional analysis, of the unit combination making up the "ohm"? I don't mean a physical understanding of resistance--that's not a problem. I mean, how can I understand the meaning of volt/amp?

Homework Equations

R = V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

a volt is an amount of potential energy change per coulomb of charge...I think I understand what that means. An Ampere is the rate of flow of coulombs in a circuit, the amount of charge that flows through a given point each second. If I put them together and solve for the resistance, I get that an ohm = Joule x second / Coulomb2. Does that mean anything?
Going further, a Joule is a N-m. Using Coulomb's Law, a Newton is proportional to charge2 divided by distance2. Put all that together, and I get the rather interesting result that an ohm is reciprocal velocity. That kind of makes sense. The bigger the resistance, the slower the velocity. But what is moving? It seems too simple to say that "electrons are moving," since I know that they really don't move very far, due to collisions with atoms in the wire. Can it be said that the electric field is moving? Can someone enlighted me about this? I'd be really grateful! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SaraF! :smile:
SaraF said:
… Using Coulomb's Law, a Newton is proportional to charge2 divided by distance2.

No, you've left out the constant k, which itself has dimensions.
I get that an ohm = Joule x second / Coulomb2. Does that mean anything?

Not really! :biggrin:

It's correct, of course, but … like most electric units … there's not much point in going any further than the obvious (in this case, Ω = V/A). :wink:

Related to Understanding Ohms: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is an ohm?

An ohm is a unit of measurement for electrical resistance. It is represented by the symbol Ω and is named after German physicist Georg Ohm.

2. How do you calculate ohms?

Ohms can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula V = IR.

3. What is the difference between resistance and impedance?

Resistance refers to the opposition of an electrical current in a conductor, while impedance refers to the total opposition of an electrical circuit, which includes both resistance and reactance (the opposition caused by inductance and capacitance). In simple terms, resistance applies to DC circuits, while impedance applies to AC circuits.

4. Why is understanding ohms important?

Understanding ohms is important because it allows us to calculate and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. This knowledge is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic devices and systems.

5. What factors affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, and material properties such as resistivity. Temperature can also have an impact on resistance, as some materials become more conductive at higher temperatures.