Understanding Parametric Second Derivative through Polynomial Division

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the end result of a mathematical equation. The speaker initially uses the quotient rule and rearrangement to solve the problem, but realizes that polynomial division would simplify the process. With the correct steps, the speaker is able to get the desired result of -2(t^2-t+1)/(3t^3(t-2)^3). The conversation also highlights the importance of taking things one step at a time and being careful with notation.
Andrusko
I'm having trouble seeing how an example comes out because the "worked example" skips about 5 steps and I can't get from point a to b.

It starts as:

[tex] \frac{\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{3t^{2}-3}{3t^{2}-6t})}{3t^2-6t} [/tex]

and is meant to end up as:

[tex] \frac{-2(t^{2}-t+1)}{3t^{3}(t-2)^{3}} [/tex]

I end up with a mess looking nothing like that and I suspect it's because I've missed some cunning common factor that is easy to spot provided you've already done the problem.

I used the quotient rule for the top part.

[tex] \frac{u}{v} = \frac{u'v-uv'}{v^{2}} [/tex]

My rearrangement looks like this:

[tex] \frac{-3t^{2}-t+1}{(3t^{2}-6t)^{3}} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well that was a good start, although you shouldn't be tacky with your notation!

[tex] \frac{u}{v} = \frac{u'v-v'u}{v^2} [/tex] is incorrect, although

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{u}{v} \right) = \frac{u'v-v'u}{v^2} [/tex] is correct.

Firstly, I would have done polynomial division to get [tex] \frac{3t^2-3}{3t^2 -6} = 1 + \frac{2t-1}{t^2-2t} [/tex] which simplifies the algebra you have to grind through considerably.

Do it one step at a time. Let u = 2t-1, so u' = 2. v = t^2 - 2t, so v' = 2t-2. Substitute those directly into the rule again and simplify. You should get what the book says, the result is correct.

But it's [tex] 3t^{2}-6t[/tex] on the bottom, not [tex]3t^{2}-6[/tex]

Can you still divide them?

[edit] Oops turn out I just suck at polynomial division. I got it now... [edit]

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Parametric Second Derivative through Polynomial Division

1. What is a parametric second derivative?

A parametric second derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function that is defined by a set of parametric equations. It represents the acceleration of the function at a specific point.

2. How is a parametric second derivative calculated?

To calculate a parametric second derivative, you must first find the first derivatives of each parametric equation. Then, substitute these derivatives into the formula for the second derivative, which is a fraction with the first derivatives in the numerator and the second derivatives in the denominator.

3. What is the significance of the parametric second derivative?

The parametric second derivative provides important information about the curvature and shape of a curve or function. It can be used to identify maximum and minimum points, inflection points, and other critical points on a graph.

4. Can a parametric second derivative be negative?

Yes, a parametric second derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is concave down at that point, and the graph is curving downwards.

5. How is a parametric second derivative used in real-world applications?

The parametric second derivative has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects, optimize processes and systems, and determine the stability of a system.