Understanding Peskin Eq 3.50-3.53 and Dirac Spinor

• Thread starter h-mina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peskin
In summary: In particular you can define the exponential function of a hermitean matrix (or operator). This can be used to define the square root of a positive semi-definite hermitean matrix by\sqrt{\hat{A}}:=\exp\left(\frac{1}{2} \ln \hat{A}\right).Now you can also use this logarithm to define the square root of a general hermitean matrix. The logarithm is defined as the inverse of the exponential function. You can calculate it by the power series\ln(1+x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n} x^n.This power series is conver
h-mina
Hi, all

I'm reading peskin by myself.
I can't understand from eq(3.50) to eq(3.53).

i) What should I interpret [itex]\sqrt{p\cdot\sigma}[/itex]?
I guess below, but I can't understand [itex]\sqrt{\;\;}[/itex] of matrices.

\begin{eqnarray}
p\cdot\sigma=E \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right) - p^3\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array}\right) \\
= \left(\begin{array}{cc} E-p^3 & 0 \\ 0 & E+p^3 \end{array}\right)
\end{eqnarray}

And why is it the same as (3.49)?

ii)How can I confirm (3.50) is a solution of the Dirac equation?

iii)What's meaning of "large boost" in (3.52) and (3.53)?
If I understand the Dirac spinor more, is it easy transform?
When so, where can I study Dirac spinor easily?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i. In Peskin they immediately explain what they mean by sqrt of a matrix right after its use...
then it's just algebra...

ii. you just put it in dirac's equation...

iii. Large boost means that you are doing a large boost... a boost is described by the parameter [itex]\eta[/itex] (in the same way rotations are described by [itex]\theta[/itex]). At the limit [itex]\eta \rightarrow \infinity[/itex] you get that result...

ChrisVer said:
i. In Peskin they immediately explain what they mean by sqrt of a matrix right after its use...
then it's just algebra...

Thanks ChrisVer.
I'm not native, so a little difficult to understand that sentense. Sorry,but I ask in another words.

If [itex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc} a & b \\ c & d \end{array}\right)[/itex],
[itex]\sqrt{A}=\left(\begin{array}{cc} \sqrt{eigenvalue1} & 0 \\ 0 & \sqrt{eigenvalue2} \end{array}\right)[/itex]?
I want to know the component expression.

then you have to find the eigenvalues of your matrix A... :) except for the case the A is in diagonal form...
for the eigenvalues of a general matrix, you find them by solving the characteristic polynomial of [itex]\alpha[/itex]:
[itex] det(A-I \alpha)=0[/itex]
[itex]\alpha[/itex] are the eigenvalues. [itex]I[/itex] the unitary matrix... det=determinant...

ChrisVer said:
then you have to find the eigenvalues of your matrix A... :) except for the case the A is in diagonal form...
for the eigenvalues of a general matrix, you find them by solving the characteristic polynomial of [itex]\alpha[/itex]:
[itex] det(A-I \alpha)=0[/itex]
[itex]\alpha[/itex] are the eigenvalues. [itex]I[/itex] the unitary matrix... det=determinant...

I understand.
Thank you!

CORRECTION
sorry I just saw Peskin did a boost only along the 3 direction ok...

Last edited:
Hello, I am sorry to come up here again, but I just read these parts in Peskin.
I don't understand your question now about the "Easy to transform spinor", But I can answer better the question about the large boosts.
You have the quantities [itex]\sqrt{E \pm p_3} [/itex] multiplying the 2-component spinors.
Now a large boost means that you are letting [itex]p_3[/itex] become large... In this case [itex]E = \sqrt{m^2 + p_3 ^2} \approx p_3[/itex]
So the [itex]\sqrt{E - p_3}= 0[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{E + p_3}= \sqrt{2E} [/itex]

Just let me make some remarks about the square root of a matrix. It's not so simple! It's not even necessary for the issue it's applied in (3.50). Everything can derived with the Dirac-[itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] matrices without taking roots.

To define the square root of matrices, let's discuss only hermitean positive semidefinite matrices. As you know from linear algebra, a hermitean matrix can also be diagonalized by a unitary transformation, and all eigenvalues are real. The eigenvectors are orthogonal to each other and can be normalized, so that you have a unitary transformation from the original basis to the so defined eigenbasis. The matrix is called positive semidefinite, if all eigenvalues are [itex]\geq 0[/itex].

Now to define [itex]\sqrt{\hat{A}}[/itex] for such a matrix, of course you like to have [itex](\sqrt{\hat{A}})^2=\hat{A}[/itex]. Now you can diagonalize the original matrix with a unitary transformation,
[tex]\hat{A}'=\hat{U} \hat{A} \hat{U}^{\dagger}=\mathrm{diag}(\lambda_1,\ldots,\lambda_n),[/tex]
where [itex]n[/itex] is the dimension of our unitary vector space (Hilbert space of finite dimension).

Now for this diagonal matrix, it's easy to find [itex]\sqrt{\hat{A}'}[/itex], but it's not unique. One solution possibility is the one Peskin and Schroeder choose: Just take the positive roots of all the eigenvalues:
[tex]\sqrt{\hat{A}'}=\mathrm{diag}(\sqrt{\lambda_1},\ldots,\sqrt{\lambda}_n).[/tex]
Of course you can also choose the negative roots or the positive and negative roots for the different eigenvalues. All together you have [itex]2^n[/itex] square roots of such a postive semidefinite diagonal matrix.

Each of these square roots is uniquely mapped back to the original basis by
[tex]\sqrt{\hat{A}}=\hat{U}^{\dagger} \sqrt{\hat{A}'} \hat{U}.[/tex]
Indeed you directly verify
[tex](\hat{U}^{\dagger} \sqrt{\hat{A}'} \hat{U})^2 = \hat{U}^{\dagger} \sqrt{\hat{A}'} \hat{U}\hat{U}^{\dagger} \sqrt{\hat{A}'} \hat{U} = \hat{U}^{\dagger} (\sqrt{\hat{A}'})^2 \hat{U} = \hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{A} \hat{U} = \hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{U} \hat{A} \hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{U} = \hat{A}.[/tex]
In this way you define arbitrary functions of hermitean matrices (or even operators in infininte-dimensional Hilbert space).

Related to Understanding Peskin Eq 3.50-3.53 and Dirac Spinor

What is Peskin Equation 3.50 and how is it used in physics?

Peskin Equation 3.50 is a mathematical expression that describes the propagation of a particle with spin in a quantum field theory. It is commonly used to study interactions between particles and fields, and has been applied in various areas of physics, such as particle physics and condensed matter physics.

What is the significance of Dirac spinors in quantum mechanics?

Dirac spinors are mathematical objects that describe the quantum states of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons. They were introduced by physicist Paul Dirac in his famous equation, which unified quantum mechanics and special relativity. Dirac spinors play a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of elementary particles.

What is the physical interpretation of Peskin Equation 3.51 and 3.52?

Peskin Equation 3.51 and 3.52 are two forms of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles in a given electromagnetic field. These equations have a physical interpretation in terms of the particle's momentum and energy, as well as its interaction with the field. They are fundamental in studying the dynamics of particles in quantum field theory.

What is the connection between Peskin Equation 3.53 and the conservation of charge?

Peskin Equation 3.53 is a mathematical representation of the conservation of charge in quantum field theory. It states that the total charge of a system remains constant in time, even as particles are created or destroyed. This equation is essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in interactions with each other and with fields.

What are some applications of Peskin Equation 3.50-3.53 in modern physics research?

Peskin Equation 3.50-3.53 have been applied in a wide range of research areas, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum information theory. They have been used to study phenomena such as the behavior of quarks and gluons in the strong force, the properties of superconductors, and the creation of quantum computers. These equations continue to play a critical role in advancing our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.