Understanding Phasor Analysis in RC Circuits

In summary, the voltage phasor for a resistor is in phase with the current phasor in a simple AC circuit with only an AC voltage source and resistor. The voltage phasor for a capacitor is pi/2 radians behind the current phasor in a similar circuit. However, when analyzing an RC circuit with a resistor and capacitor in series, the above still holds due to the fact that the sum of the voltages across each element varies by E = E0*cos(wt) instead of each individual voltage. This can be solved by knowing the value of the complex impedance and applying a fixed current or voltage to analyze the circuit.
Physics_5
I understand that the voltage phasor for a resistor is in phase with the current phasor in a simple ac circuit consisting of only an AC voltage source and the resistor.

I understand that the voltage phasor for a capacitor is pi/2 radians behind the current phasor for an AC circuit consisting of only an AC voltage source and a capacitor.

When an RC circuit consisting of a resistor and capacitor in series is analyzed, I don't understand how the above still holds. Both proofs were based on the fact that the voltage across each circuit element varies by E = E0*cos(wt), but now the sum of the voltages across each element vary by this NOT each individual voltage.

I feel like this is a pure assumption. Here are the links to the book proof. I have a problem with the second picture of the phasor diagrams.
http://imgur.com/wmjzJ6C
http://imgur.com/aeh1ESb

Engineering news on Phys.org
We know that the same current, i, flows in series through the resistor and capacitor. We know the voltage across the resistor will be Vr = i * R. We know the voltage across the capacitor will be Vc = i * Xc, with phase lagging Vr by 90°. At this point we do not know the value of i.
When we realize the vector sum of Vr and Vc is the applied voltage, Eo = Vr + Vc, we can solve for i, which identifies the scale of the diagram.

If we know the value of R and Xc, then we know the complex impedance of the series combination is (R + jXc ).
The applied voltage is Eo, so i = Eo / (R + jX ).

Further to Baluncore's explanation, if you are analysing a series combination of impedances then assume a fixed current (maybe 1 amp) through both, and if analysing a parallel combination assume a fixed voltage (maybe 1 volt) across both.

1. What is the purpose of using phasors in RC circuits?

Phasors are used in RC circuits to analyze the behavior of the circuit in the frequency domain. They allow us to easily calculate the amplitude and phase shift of the voltage and current in the circuit, making it easier to understand and design the circuit.

2. How do you convert a time-domain circuit into a phasor circuit?

To convert a time-domain circuit into a phasor circuit, we replace all the time-varying signals with their corresponding phasor representations, which are complex numbers. The resistors remain unchanged, while the capacitors are replaced with an impedance, which is the reciprocal of the complex phasor representing the capacitance.

3. Can phasors be used for both AC and DC circuits?

No, phasor analysis is only applicable to AC circuits. DC circuits do not have a frequency component, so they cannot be represented using phasors.

4. How do you calculate the phasor voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The phasor voltage across a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the phasor current by the impedance of the capacitor. The impedance of a capacitor is equal to 1/jωC, where ω is the angular frequency and C is the capacitance.

5. What is the phase angle in a phasor representation and how is it related to the time-domain circuit?

The phase angle in a phasor representation represents the phase shift between the voltage and current in an AC circuit. It is related to the time-domain circuit through the time constant, which is equal to 1/ωC. The phase angle is equal to arctan(1/ωRC), where R is the resistance and C is the capacitance in the time-domain circuit.