Understanding Physics Symbols: Cos∠ and Sin∠

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of symbols in a physics book, specifically 'F sub "two vertical lines"' and 'F sub "an upside down T/perpendicular symbol"'. They are determined to mean components of F representing parallel and perpendicular forces.
Maddie1609
Hi,

I just started the chapter work and kinetic energy in my physics book, and I'm uncertain about the meaning of two symbols. They are 'F sub "two vertical lines"' and 'F sub "an upside down T/perpendicular symbol"'? Does it mean cos∠ and sin∠, respectively?

Nevermind, I figured it out; they were components of F and meanr parallel and perpendicular. I can't seem to delete the post, so a moderator can feel free to:approve:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you that the F|| means gravity that is parallel to the surface and F⊥ is the gravity perpendicular to the surface.

Two vertical lines, ||, usually means "parallel". ##\perp## usually means "perpendicular". Thus:

##F_{||} ## would typically mean a parallel force or force component, and
##F_\perp## would typically mean a perpendicular force or force component.

Related to Understanding Physics Symbols: Cos∠ and Sin∠

1. What do the symbols "cos∠" and "sin∠" stand for in physics?

The symbol "cos∠" stands for the cosine of an angle, while "sin∠" stands for the sine of an angle. These are mathematical functions used to describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

2. How are "cos∠" and "sin∠" related in physics?

In physics, "cos∠" and "sin∠" are related through the Pythagorean identity: cos²∠ + sin²∠ = 1. This means that the square of the cosine of an angle plus the square of the sine of that angle will always equal 1.

3. What is the difference between "cos∠" and "sin∠" in physics?

The main difference between "cos∠" and "sin∠" in physics is the starting point of the angle they represent. "Cos∠" starts at the adjacent side of a right triangle, while "sin∠" starts at the opposite side.

4. How are "cos∠" and "sin∠" used to solve physics problems?

"Cos∠" and "sin∠" are used in physics to solve problems involving angles, such as finding the magnitude and direction of a force or the displacement of an object. These functions are also used in trigonometric equations to describe the relationship between different physical quantities.

5. Are "cos∠" and "sin∠" only used in physics?

No, "cos∠" and "sin∠" are also used in other fields such as mathematics, engineering, and navigation. They have a wide range of applications in various scientific and practical contexts, making them important tools for understanding the physical world.