Understanding Potential Energy Graphs for Two-Particle Systems

In summary, the potential energy of a two particle system can be described by the function V(R)= -(A/R)+(B/R^2), where R is the interparticle separation. The system exhibits oscillatory behavior near a local minimum at the equilibrium separation Ro. To sketch V(R), the values of A and B can be set to 1 for simplicity. At R=0, V(R) approaches infinity. To find the minimum of V(R), the first derivative test can be used. However, the equilibrium condition is not V(R) = 0, but rather where the force is zero. The force function can be found by using F(x)=-du/dx.
AsadaShino92

Homework Statement

The potential energy V(R) of a two particle system exhibiting oscillatory behavior near a local minimum at the equilibrium separation Ro. V(R)= -(A/R)+(B/R^2) , where R is the interparticle separation.

A) Sketch V(R), what happens to V(R) as R→0
B) At what value of R is there a minima in the potential?
C) For very small oscillations about this equilibrium point, Ro, write the force on the particle F=-k(R-Ro), define k.

Homework Equations

V(R)= -(A/R)+(B/R^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I must apologize in advance because I feel that I'm about to ask a stupid question. But how can I plot this function if I don't know what the values of A and B are?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good question.

What if you plot ##V## in units of ##A^2/B## and ##R## in units of ##B/A##?

[Edited to correct a mistake.]

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
I would have just taken ##A = B = 1## for the purpose of a sketch.

TSny said:
It's a good question.

What if you plot ##V## in units of ##A^2/B## and ##R## in units of ##B/A##?

[Edited to correct a mistake.]
Sorry, I'm not sure how I would plot the function in those terms such as A^2/B and B/A. Do you think I can fix the values like PeroK suggested? My only concern is that the function slightly changes based on what A and B are. But I see that the function runs off to infinity as R approaches 0.

AsadaShino92 said:
Sorry, I'm not sure how I would plot the function in those terms such as A^2/B and B/A. Do you think I can fix the values like PeroK suggested? My only concern is that the function slightly changes based on what A and B are. But I see that the function runs off to infinity as R approaches 0.
Yes, you can go with PeroK's suggestion. The graph will be the same as I was suggesting.

Note that ##A^2/B## has the dimension of energy and ##B/A## has the dimension of length.

So, you can introduce dimensionless quantities ##\tilde{V} = \frac{V}{A^2/B}## and ##\tilde{R} = \frac{R}{B/A}##.

If you write the equation in terms of these dimensionless quantities ##\tilde{V}## and ##\tilde{R}##, you should find that ##A## and ##B## disappear.

Graphing ##\tilde{V}## versus ##\tilde{R}## will give the same graph as graphing ##V## versus ##R## with ##A= B = 1##.

TSny said:
Yes, you can go with PeroK's suggestion. The graph will be the same as I was suggesting.

Note that ##A^2/B## has the dimension of energy and ##B/A## has the dimension of length.

So, you can introduce dimensionless quantities ##\tilde{V} = \frac{V}{A^2/B}## and ##\tilde{R} = \frac{R}{B/A}##.

If you write the equation in terms of these dimensionless quantities ##\tilde{V}## and ##\tilde{R}##, you should find that ##A## and ##B## disappear.

Graphing ##\tilde{V}## versus ##\tilde{R}## will give the same graph as graphing ##V## versus ##R## with ##A= B = 1##.
Thanks for your explanation. I wasn't used to this method so I couldn't see the relationship before. For part B where it asks to find the minimum, taking A=B=1, I found an equilibrium point at R=1. Would it be correct for me to use the first derivative test?

AsadaShino92 said:
For part B where it asks to find the minimum, taking A=B=1, I found an equilibrium point at R=1. Would it be correct for me to use the first derivative test?
For A = B = 1, I don't think the equilibrium is at R = 1. But, I'm pretty sure that you are meant to express the equilibrium value of R in terms of A and B.

Yes, use differentiation to find the minimum.

TSny said:
For A = B = 1, I don't think the equilibrium is at R = 1. But, I'm pretty sure that you are meant to express the equilibrium value of R in terms of A and B.

Yes, use differentiation to find the minimum.
So then the equilibrium value of R is at R=(B/A)? I found this by leaving A and B as variables and setting V(R)=0.

The equilibrium condition is not V(R) = 0. Equilibrium is where the force is zero.

TSny said:
The equilibrium condition is not V(R) = 0. Equilibrium is where the force is zero.
Since V(R) is given as the potential energy function in the problem, I can find my force function by using F(x)=-du/dx. Is that the right idea?

AsadaShino92 said:
Since V(R) is given as the potential energy function in the problem, I can find my force function by using F(x)=-du/dx. Is that the right idea?
Yes. Good.

What is potential energy graphing?

Potential energy graphing is a way to visually represent the relationship between the potential energy of a system and its position or configuration. It is often used in physics and chemistry to understand and analyze the energy changes that occur in a system.

How do you create a potential energy graph?

To create a potential energy graph, you will need to plot the potential energy on the y-axis and the position or configuration on the x-axis. The shape of the graph will depend on the type of potential energy being represented, such as gravitational or chemical potential energy.

What does a flat potential energy graph indicate?

A flat potential energy graph indicates that there is no change in potential energy as the position or configuration of the system changes. This could mean that the system is at equilibrium or that there are no external forces acting on it.

How can potential energy graphing be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Potential energy graphing can help predict the behavior of a system by showing how potential energy changes as the system undergoes a transformation or experiences external forces. It can also be used to determine the stability of a system and whether it will tend towards a higher or lower potential energy state.

What are the limitations of potential energy graphing?

Potential energy graphing is a simplified representation of a system and may not accurately reflect all the factors that affect potential energy. It also assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium and does not take into account any dynamic changes that may occur. Additionally, potential energy graphing may not be applicable to more complex systems with multiple components or variables.