Understanding Power Output of a PSU

In summary, the power output listed on a power supply indicates the maximum current that can be drawn at its maximum voltage. For variable supplies, this means you can draw more current at a lower voltage, while for fixed supplies, the current will be limited to the maximum at the set voltage. When it comes to circuitry like function generators, the user manual will provide information on the limits of the circuit, usually in terms of voltage rather than watts.
D44
Hi

I'm just thinking over a few things and realized there's something pretty fundamental that doesn't seem to get explained often or at least very well. Maybe I'm too much of a novice, who knows...anyway...

When a power supply states a power output of say, 750W, what exactly does that mean? 750W when? Not when I'm supply something with 12V and 3A. So does it mean a maximum/combination/summation of outputs that the supply can handle before..it burns out?

For example, a psu, 750W output. This would happily supply several different components with different voltages and currents which add up to 750W. But what if there was just 1 output? Does that mean there could be an output of 375V and 2A? That doesn't seem right. But that's still 750W, right?
Also, when it comes to circuitry, things like frequency generators, how do you know what current they can handle? Because, for example, something like an induction coil/heater - dc signal into a function generator, to coil (I know there's more to it than that) - surely the high current drawn from the coil would be way too high for the function generator?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Power supplies are either fixed or variable. In either case, the power rating usually tells you how much current you can draw out of it at its max voltage, as opposed to how much power you can draw at a lower voltage.

So a variable supply rated at 10volts and 100 watts, and cranked up to the full 10 volts output, will put out 10 amps at 10 volts if you hook up a 1 ohm resistive load.

With a fixed supply, you don't have any choice on the voltage, so you can hook up any resistive load of 1ohm or more to a 10volt supply before you start to overload it.

Thanks for your reply, that's helpful.

So in the case of a function generator etc, how would you know what the limits of the circuit were, such as max curren they could handle? Would that be the input perameters?

A function generator typically has its preferred load marked on it, e.g., 10Ω
So with a 10Ω load, when you turn its amplitude up to near maximum, then it's delivering maximum power. :smile:

If you are talking about the control signals fed to the function generator, then those would be available in its user manual. They will be voltages, not watts.

Related to Understanding Power Output of a PSU

1. What is power output and why is it important for a PSU?

Power output refers to the amount of electrical power that a PSU can supply to a computer's components. It is important because if the power output is insufficient, the computer may experience stability issues or even shut down.

2. How is power output measured for a PSU?

Power output is measured in watts (W) and is typically listed on the PSU's label or specifications. It represents the maximum amount of power that the PSU can supply to the computer's components.

3. What factors affect the power output of a PSU?

The power output of a PSU can be affected by several factors, such as the efficiency of the PSU, the quality of its internal components, and the design of its power delivery system. Additionally, the power output can also be impacted by the ambient temperature and load on the PSU.

4. Can a PSU's power output be too high?

Yes, a PSU's power output can be too high for a computer system. This can lead to wasted energy and increased electricity costs. It is important to choose a PSU with a power output that is suitable for your computer's needs.

5. How can I calculate the power output needed for my computer?

To calculate the power output needed for your computer, you can use a power supply calculator tool or add up the estimated power consumption of each component in your computer. It is recommended to have some extra power output to account for any future upgrades or additions to your system.