Understanding Pressure Drop and Damping Force Calculation in Shock Absorbers

In summary, the conversation discusses two methods of calculating the pressure drop in an orifice for a mathematical model of a shock absorber. The first method involves using the discharge coefficient to calculate the pressure drop, while the second method is the pipe loss method. There is confusion about whether the pressure drop is due to friction or the need to accelerate the fluid. Additionally, there is a question about whether pressure drop and pipe friction losses are the same and whether head loss needs to be added to the pressure required to accelerate the fluid. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the concept rather than solving a specific textbook question.
Tommtb

Homework Statement

I need to complete a mathematical model of a shock absorber, not in the frequency sense but by calculating the damping force due to the resistance in the valves.

For an orifice there seems to be two ways of calculating the force/pressure drop
1). Discharge coefficient, this results a value for pressure drop.
I am having a hard time understanding whether pressure drop is the pressure difference required to accelerate the liquid to a higher velocity (in the smaller area) or whether it is due to the friction in the orifice.

For example if i wanted to calculate the damper force and had two orifices in series, P1 being pressure before orifice 1, P2 being the pressure in between the two orifices and P3 being the pressure after third orifice. Would I have to work backwards from P3 to find the pressure at the piston face (P1)? by calculating pressure drop from p2 - p3 then p1 - p2. Then sum all the pressure drops to find the total piston face pressure?

2). Piple loss mehod

Is pressure drop from 1). the same as 'pipe friction losses' or head loss? Do i need to sum head loss with the pressure required to accelerate the fluid through the orifice ?

Thank you in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Many thesis' analyse and I get more and more confused about the concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tommtb said:

Homework Statement

I need to complete a mathematical model of a shock absorber, not in the frequency sense but by calculating the damping force due to the resistance in the valves.

For an orifice there seems to be two ways of calculating the force/pressure drop
1). Discharge coefficient, this results a value for pressure drop.
I am having a hard time understanding whether pressure drop is the pressure difference required to accelerate the liquid to a higher velocity (in the smaller area) or whether it is due to the friction in the orifice.

For example if i wanted to calculate the damper force and had two orifices in series, P1 being pressure before orifice 1, P2 being the pressure in between the two orifices and P3 being the pressure after third orifice. Would I have to work backwards from P3 to find the pressure at the piston face (P1)? by calculating pressure drop from p2 - p3 then p1 - p2. Then sum all the pressure drops to find the total piston face pressure?

2). Piple loss mehod

Is pressure drop from 1). the same as 'pipe friction losses' or head loss? Do i need to sum head loss with the pressure required to accelerate the fluid through the orifice ?

Thank you in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Many thesis' analyse and I get more and more confused about the concept.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Please show us the work you have done, so we can help you with this problem.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Please show us the work you have done, so we can help you with this problem.

Hi there, well it's not a specific textbook question, it's more about the conceptual understanding of it, I don't have any workings to show because it's all reading based.

Perhaps I didn't post this in the right section?

If the pipe cross section is the same each side of the orifice then any pressure difference is from frictional losses. Apart from that, there is a pressure drop entering the orifice to accelerate the fluid, but a corresponding pressure rise to decelerate it as it leaves.

1. What is damping force?

Damping force is a resistive force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between the object and its surrounding medium, such as air or water.

2. How is damping force calculated?

Damping force can be calculated using the equation Fd = -bv, where Fd is the damping force, b is the damping coefficient, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of damping force?

The magnitude of damping force is affected by the damping coefficient, the velocity of the object, and the properties of the surrounding medium, such as its density and viscosity.

4. How does damping force affect the motion of an object?

Damping force can slow down the motion of an object by reducing its velocity. It also causes the object to lose energy, resulting in a decrease in amplitude of its oscillations.

5. What is the difference between overdamping, critical damping, and underdamping?

Overdamping occurs when the damping force is greater than necessary, causing the object to return to its equilibrium position slowly without oscillating. Critical damping occurs when the damping force is just enough to bring the object back to its equilibrium position without any oscillations. Underdamping occurs when the damping force is not sufficient, causing the object to oscillate before returning to its equilibrium position.