Understanding Reactive Power Measurements with a Smart Meter

• Thread starter Sebastian Neo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the setup involves taking supply from the main power grid into a microgrid with a smart meter connected to a resistor load bank. The measured values by the smart meter were 500W and -40Var with a current of 0.71A. As the current increases, the real power increases and the reactive power becomes a larger negative number. The smart meter being used is an ABB A44 meter and the total power for all three phases is 544W with a single phase voltage of 230V. The discrepancies in the measurements may be due to the advertised accuracy of the smart meter or the assumption of single phase power.
Sebastian Neo
Hi,

I was doing some test with the load bank today and I obtain a value which I don't quite understand.
I supply a 400V Line to Line, 50Hz to a smart meter and to the resistor load bank. The measured value by the smart meter was 500W and -40Var with a current of 0.71A. As the current increases, the real power increases and the reactive power decreases further.

I know that there is no such thing as ideal load but to have a negative reactive power does not make any sense.

Please kindly advice. Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Negative VARs just means a capacitive load.

What doesn't make sense is so many VARs of either sign with just a smart meter and a resistor bank. There must be more to the story, something else in the setup that you didn't mention.

the setup was quite simple. I am taking supply from the main power grid into my microgrid and to my smart meter which is connected to the resistor bank.
That's all for my setup

A couple of thoughts:

1. Can i assume single phase ?

500 watts and 40 vars is only 501.6 VA
what is the advertised accuracy of your smart meter ? Do your discrepancies fall outside its guaranteed performance?

2. With single phase 501.6VA at 400 volts is 1.254 amps not 0.71,
however
1.254 divided by √3 = 0.723, within 2% of what you report measuring.
So was my assumption of single phase perhaps wrong?

3. There's an ambiguity in your description.
Sebastian Neo said:
As the current increases, the real power increases and the reactive power decreases further.
By 'decreases' do you mean becomes a larger negative number as in moving toward -50, -60, -70 vars?

4. If this is three phase recall that when PF = 1 the line current and line-line voltage are displaced by 30 degrees, which at first glance looks like a PF of about 0.87. That's why there's a two wattmeter method for measuring three phase power.
If you are trying to measure three phase power with a single phase "smart meter", it sounds to me like everything is behaving pretty much as it should.

5. So, what's your "smart meter" ? Got a link to its instruction manual ? And a sketch of your hookup?

jim hardy said:
A couple of thoughts:

1. Can i assume single phase ?

500 watts and 40 vars is only 501.6 VA
what is the advertised accuracy of your smart meter ? Do your discrepancies fall outside its guaranteed performance?

2. With single phase 501.6VA at 400 volts is 1.254 amps not 0.71,
however
1.254 divided by √3 = 0.723, within 2% of what you report measuring.
So was my assumption of single phase perhaps wrong?

3. There's an ambiguity in your description.

By 'decreases' do you mean becomes a larger negative number as in moving toward -50, -60, -70 vars?

4. If this is three phase recall that when PF = 1 the line current and line-line voltage are displaced by 30 degrees, which at first glance looks like a PF of about 0.87. That's why there's a two wattmeter method for measuring three phase power.
If you are trying to measure three phase power with a single phase "smart meter", it sounds to me like everything is behaving pretty much as it should.

5. So, what's your "smart meter" ? Got a link to its instruction manual ? And a sketch of your hookup?
Yes, that's what i meant.

I am using ABB A44 meter.

544W is total power for all 3 phase. single phase voltage is 230V. Current for Phase A is 0.71A. Power for 1 phase is 178W.

Total reactive power is -38.94. Phase A reactive power is -15.55 Var, Phase B is -4.92 Var and Phase C is -18.46 VAr

1. What is the purpose of the Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank?

The Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank is a device used in electrical circuits to provide resistance. It is commonly used in power transmission and distribution systems to control the flow of electricity.

2. How many resistors are included in the Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank?

The Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank typically includes multiple resistors, ranging from 4 to 12, depending on the specific model. These resistors can be connected in different configurations to achieve the desired level of resistance.

3. What is the maximum voltage and current rating for the Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank?

The maximum voltage and current ratings for the Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank vary depending on the model and configuration. However, most models have a maximum voltage rating of 1100 volts and a maximum current rating of 200 amps.

4. How does the Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank differ from other resistor banks?

The Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank is designed specifically for medium voltage applications, whereas other resistor banks may be designed for lower or higher voltages. Additionally, the Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank is known for its compact design and high reliability.

5. Can the Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank be customized for specific applications?

Yes, the Terco MV1100 Resistor Bank can be customized to meet the specific requirements of different applications. This can include the number and configuration of resistors, as well as the voltage and current ratings. Customization options may vary depending on the manufacturer.