Understanding Reflectance and Transmittance Calculations

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflectance
In summary: You can also double check by calculating the total reflected intensity and subtracting it from the total incident intensity to get the transmitted intensity. In summary, the net transmittance across the interface is 35/40 or 3/4. It is important to consider the different polarizations of light and how it affects the calculations of reflected and transmitted intensity.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
A beam of unpolarized light carries 2000W/m2 down onto an air–plastic interface. It is found that of the light reflected at the interface 300W/m2 is polarized with its E-field perpendicular to the plane of incidence and 200W/m2 parallel to the plane of incidence. Determine the net transmittance across the interface.
Relevant Equations
This type of problem always confuse me. Indeed, i am always skeptical with the answer i get, because i know there is some subtle points in the calculations that maybe i am missing... Anyway:

Can we just say that $$T = 1 - R = 1 - \frac{(R_{\parallel}+R_{\bot})}{2} = 1 - \frac{(\frac{200}{2000}+\frac{300}{2000})}{2} = 1 - 5/40 = 35/40$$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to consider that the incidence may not be normal. The incident beam contains a 50-50 mix of light polarized in the plane of incidence (p-polarization) and perpendicular to it (s-polarization). The ratio of electric field magnitudes before and after reflection depends on the polarization and the angle of incidence because of the boundary conditions. Relevant are the Fresnel equations which should help you find the angle of incidence from the amount of reflected p and s polarization. Don't forget that the electric field magnitude is proportional to the square root of the energy flux.

Disclaimer: I have not solved this problem. I just described what I would try first.

Likes LCSphysicist
kuruman said:
I think you need to consider that the incidence may not be normal. The incident beam contains a 50-50 mix of light polarized in the plane of incidence (p-polarization) and perpendicular to it (s-polarization). The ratio of electric field magnitudes before and after reflection depends on the polarization and the angle of incidence because of the boundary conditions. Relevant are the Fresnel equations which should help you find the angle of incidence from the amount of reflected p and s polarization. Don't forget that the electric field magnitude is proportional to the square root of the energy flux.

Disclaimer: I have not solved this problem. I just described what I would try first.
Yes but, i didn't assumed that the incidence was normal (did i??)
That ##R = \frac{R_{\parallel}+R_{\bot}}{2}## is jut true to any incidence, as well is ##T+R = 1##, being T defined analogous as R.
Or have i misinterpreted the theory?

(Note: i am not talking about ##r,t## (fraction of amplitudes), but ##R,T## (fraction of intensity))

LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: A beam of unpolarized light carries 2000W/m2 down onto an air–plastic interface. It is found that of the light reflected at the interface 300W/m2 is polarized with its E-field perpendicular to the plane of incidence and 200W/m2 parallel to the plane of incidence. Determine the net transmittance across the interface.

Can we just say that $$T = 1 - R = 1 - \frac{(R_{\parallel}+R_{\bot})}{2} = 1 - \frac{(\frac{200}{2000}+\frac{300}{2000})}{2} = 1 - 5/40 = 35/40$$
Based on your result for ##T_{\rm net}##, what is the net intensity transmitted in W/m2?

Does the net transmitted intensity plus the net reflected intensity equal the net incoming intensity (2000 W/m2)?

Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
Can we just say that $$T = 1 - R = 1 - \frac{(R_{\parallel}+R_{\bot})}{2} = 1 - \frac{(\frac{200}{2000}+\frac{300}{2000})}{2} = 1 - 5/40 = 35/40$$
We have to be careful with how we calculate ##R_{\parallel}## and ##R_{\bot}##.

In a handwaving way we can say that if we have 2000 W/m2 of incident unpolarized light , then on the average we have 1000 W/m2 incident with || polarization and 1000 W/m2 incident with ⊥ polarization. So, ##R_{\parallel} = \frac{200}{1000}## and similarly for ##R_{\bot}##.

Likes LCSphysicist
TSny said:
We have to be careful with how we calculate ##R_{\parallel}## and ##R_{\bot}##.

In a handwaving way we can say that if we have 2000 W/m2 of incident unpolarized light , then on the average we have 1000 W/m2 incident with || polarization and 1000 W/m2 incident with ⊥ polarization. So, ##R_{\parallel} = \frac{200}{1000}## and similarly for ##R_{\bot}##.
Nice. So we got ##T = 1 - (200/1000 + 300/1000)/2 = 3/4##?

LCSphysicist said:
Nice. So we got ##T = 1 - (200/1000 + 300/1000)/2 = 3/4##?
Yes, I think that's right.

1. What is the difference between reflectance and transmittance?

Reflectance and transmittance are two measures of how light interacts with a material. Reflectance refers to the amount of light that is bounced off the surface of a material, while transmittance refers to the amount of light that passes through a material.

2. How are reflectance and transmittance measured?

Reflectance and transmittance are typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light that is reflected or transmitted at different wavelengths. The data is then plotted on a graph to show the reflectance or transmittance spectrum of the material.

3. What factors can affect the reflectance and transmittance of a material?

The reflectance and transmittance of a material can be affected by factors such as the material's color, texture, and thickness. The angle of incidence of the light, the type of light source, and the wavelength of the light can also impact these measures.

4. How are reflectance and transmittance used in scientific research?

Reflectance and transmittance are important measures in many fields of science, such as materials science, chemistry, and biology. These measures can provide information about the properties of a material, such as its chemical composition, structure, and optical properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of reflectance and transmittance?

Reflectance and transmittance are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the development of new materials for use in solar panels, coatings for eyeglasses, and paints for buildings. They are also used in the analysis of atmospheric gases and pollutants, and in the study of plant and animal cells.