Is voltage the same in parallel circuits with different resistance values?

In summary, The formula for voltage in parallel circuits is Vt=V1=V2=Vn, but this only applies when the resistors have the same resistance. When resistors with different values are used, the voltage across each branch will be different due to variations in current flow. This can be calculated using Ohm's law, V=IR. So, the formula for voltage in parallel only holds true when all resistors have equal resistance.
Daniel2244

Homework Statement

I have to write about voltage within a parallel circuit and the formula for voltage in parallel is Vt=V1=V2=V3. But I was wondering if that's only the case if the resistors have the same resistance becasue I used resistors with different values

Homework Equations

V1=V2=V3

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is yes the voltage across each branch is the same only when the resistors are the same value. Becasue when you use resistors with higher/lower resistance the current flow is different. (higher Ω Lower I) so using Ohm's law V=IR the voltage will be different if resistors with different values are used in parallel.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel2244 said:

Homework Statement

I have to write about voltage within a parallel circuit and the formula for voltage in parallel is V1=V2=V3. But I was wondering if that's only the case if the resistors have the same resistance becasue I used resistors with different values

Homework Equations

V1=V2=V3

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is yes the voltage across each branch is the same only when the resistors are the same value. Becasue when you use resistors with higher/lower resistance the current flow is different. (higher Ω Lower I) so using Ohm's law V=IR the voltage will be different if resistors with different values are used in parallel.
This is completely incorrect. See if you can figure out why

phinds said:
This is completely incorrect. See if you can figure out why
WOW!. My bad, I calculates something wrong. Vt=V1=V2=Vn...

Last edited:

What is voltage in parallel?

Voltage in parallel refers to the situation where multiple electrical components are connected in parallel to a common voltage source. This means that each component has the same voltage across it.

How is voltage in parallel calculated?

Voltage in parallel is calculated by dividing the total voltage of the circuit by the number of components connected in parallel. This is based on the principle of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the voltage of the source.

What happens to voltage in parallel when one component fails?

If one component in a parallel circuit fails, the voltage across the remaining components will remain the same. This is because the voltage source is shared among the components, and the voltage drop across each component will still be the same as before.

Is voltage in parallel affected by the resistance of the components?

Yes, the resistance of the components will affect the voltage in parallel. According to Ohm's Law, the voltage across a component is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that a component with a higher resistance will have a higher voltage drop across it compared to a component with a lower resistance.

Can the voltage in parallel be higher than the voltage of the source?

No, the voltage in parallel cannot be higher than the voltage of the source. This is because the voltage in parallel is always equal to the voltage of the source, as each component has the same voltage across it. However, the total current in the circuit may be higher than the current from the source, as it is divided among the components in parallel.