Understanding Schur's First Lemma in Group Representations

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a result using Schur's first lemma. By considering an element g_k and its conjugates, it is shown that conjugation preserves the conjugacy class, resulting in a bijection between elements in the class and elements in the representation. This allows for the replacement of the original sum with a sum over conjugacy classes, proving the result.
ergospherical
Homework Statement
i) Show that the matrix ##B^{\nu}_i = \sum_{g\in K_i} D^{(\nu)}(g)##, consisting of the sum of the matrices of an irreducible ##[n_{\nu}]## representation which correspond to the elements of the conjugacy class ##K_i##, is a multiple of the identity.
Relevant Equations
N/A
So long as ##B^{\nu}_i## commutes with all the matrices in the irrep then the result follows from Schur's first lemma. So consider some element ##g_k## and form\begin{align*}
D^{(\nu)}(g_k) B^{\nu}_i D^{(\nu)}(g_k)^{-1} &= \sum_{g \in K_i} D^{(\nu)}(g_k) D^{(\nu)}(g) D^{(\nu)}(g_k)^{-1} \\
&= \sum_{g \in K_i} D^{(\nu)}(g_k g g_k^{-1})
\end{align*}If ##g_k g g_k^{-1} \equiv h \in K_i## then the right hand side would be nothing but ##B^{\nu}_i## (note that if ##g_k g g_k^{-1} = h## and ##g_k g' g_k^{-1} = h##, then it would follow that ##g' = g##, i.e. conjugating with ##g_k## would map each ##g \in K_i## to a distinct element ##h \in K_i##). The bit I can't figure is why ##h## is guaranteed to be in ##K_i##. An equivalence ##g \sim h## implies that there's some group element conjugating the two, but that depends on ##g## and ##h## and surely can't be a single element ##g_k## for every term in the sum? Wonder what I'm overlooking.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your ##h_k##? It seems to me you have not defined it. Or did you mean ##g_k##?
If the latter then the result that you are missing is that conjugation preserves the conjugacy class. If ##g \in K_i## then ##h = g_k g g_k^{-1} \in K_i## by definition because it is a conjugate of ##g## so the conjugation by ##g_k## is by definition a map from ##K_i## to ##K_i##, you have already shown that it maps distinct elements to distinct elements and so must be a bijection (assuming ##K_i## is finite).

Likes ergospherical
(Yes apologies, there were a couple of typos which I've hopefully fixed!)

Thanks, I see now. Of course ##h \in K_i## because ##g \in K_i## and ##h \sim g##, and since the map is a bijection (as shown) one can replace ##\sum_{g \in K_i} \rightarrow \sum_{h \in K_i}## in the final line.

1. What is Schur's First Lemma?

Schur's First Lemma is a mathematical theorem that states that if two modules have equivalent simple submodules, then they are isomorphic.

2. Who discovered Schur's First Lemma?

The lemma was first stated by the German mathematician Issai Schur in 1905.

3. What is the significance of Schur's First Lemma?

Schur's First Lemma is an important tool in the study of algebraic structures, particularly in the field of representation theory. It allows for the identification of isomorphic modules based on their simple submodules, making it easier to classify and understand these structures.

4. Can Schur's First Lemma be generalized?

Yes, Schur's First Lemma has been generalized to other algebraic structures such as Lie algebras and Hopf algebras.

5. How is Schur's First Lemma used in practice?

Schur's First Lemma is used in various areas of mathematics, including group theory, algebraic geometry, and mathematical physics. It is also used in applications such as coding theory and quantum mechanics.