Understanding Simple Chirality Equations with Dirac Spinors

• Thread starter StephvsEinst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chirality
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical steps and proofs behind the equations involving Dirac spinors and matrices. The first step, P_L psi = psi P_R, is derived from the anticommutation relation between gamma_5 and gamma_mu. The second equation, bar_psi P_R gamma_mu psi = bar_psi gamma_mu P_L psi, is also proven using the anticommutation relation. The bar notation represents the complex conjugate of the Dirac spinor.
StephvsEinst
Hi!
Can anyone explain to me the math behind this simple step:
$$ P_L \psi = \psi P_R $$ where $$ P_L = \frac{1}{2} ( 1 + \gamma_5 ) $$ and $$P_R = \frac{1}{2} ( 1 - \gamma_5 )$$.

And why is $$ \bar{\psi }P_R \gamma^{\mu } \psi = \bar{\psi } \gamma^{\mu } P_L \psi ,$$
where $$ \gamma_5$$ and $$\gamma_\mu $$ are Dirac matrices.Can anyone help??Edit: The psi's $$ \psi $$ represent Dirac spinors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
StephvsEinst said:
Can anyone explain to me the math behind this simple step:
$$ P_L \psi = \psi P_R $$
Where did that come from? It doesn't look quite right.

[...] And why is ## \bar{\psi }P_R \gamma^{\mu } \psi = \bar{\psi } \gamma^{\mu } P_L \psi##
Hint: what is the anticommutation relation between ##\gamma_5## and ##\gamma_\mu## ?

strangerep said:
Where did that come from? It doesn't look quite right.

It's true that ## \bar{\psi }_L \gamma^{ \mu } \psi_L = \bar{\psi }P_R \gamma^{\mu } P_L \psi ## but I can't prove mathematically this step.

strangerep said:
Hint: what is the anticommutation relation between # \gamma_5 # and # \gamma_{\mu } # ?

I see now that [ ## \gamma_{\mu }, \gamma_5 ] = 0 ## so it's true that ## \gamma_5 \gamma_{\mu } = \gamma_{\mu } \gamma_5 ## .

I am still not understing the first step, though.

what does the bar notation stand for? If you apply its meaning on the expression below you will have it.
[itex] \bar{\psi_L} = \bar{(P_L \psi)} = ...[/itex]

StephvsEinst said:
I see now that [ γμ,γ5]=0 \gamma_{\mu }, \gamma_5 ] = 0 so it's true that γ5γμ=γμγ5 \gamma_5 \gamma_{\mu } = \gamma_{\mu } \gamma_5 .

That is wrong. The anticommutation is zero... {A,B}= AB+BA

First one should have a bar over the second Psi. You get it by taking the complex conjugate of the left hand side, then inserting 1=GAMMA0.GAMMA0, where needed, then commuting them through the P.

1. What is chirality?

Chirality is a property of a molecule where it has a non-superimposable mirror image. In simpler terms, it means that the molecule cannot be rotated or flipped to match its mirror image.

2. How do you determine if a molecule is chiral?

A molecule is chiral if it has at least one chiral center, which is a carbon atom bonded to four different groups. Another way to determine chirality is by using the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (CIP) rules, which assign priorities to the groups attached to the chiral center and determine whether the molecule is R or S configuration.

3. What is the difference between enantiomers and diastereomers?

Enantiomers are mirror images of each other and have the same physical and chemical properties, except for their interaction with polarized light. Diastereomers, on the other hand, are stereoisomers that are not mirror images and have different physical and chemical properties.

4. How does chirality affect a molecule's biological activity?

Chirality can have a significant impact on a molecule's biological activity. For example, enantiomers of a drug can have different effects on the body, with one enantiomer being beneficial and the other causing adverse effects. This is why pharmaceutical companies often produce single enantiomer drugs instead of a racemic mixture.

5. Can a molecule be chiral if it doesn't have a chiral center?

Yes, a molecule can be chiral even if it doesn't have a chiral center. This is possible when the molecule has a plane of symmetry or an internal mirror plane, which makes the molecule superimposable on its mirror image. This type of chirality is known as axial chirality.