Propagator of massless Weyl field

In summary, there is a free Weyl spinor described by the Lagrangian $$i \bar{\psi} \cancel{\partial} P_L \psi$$ which can be written embedding the field into a larger Dirac spinor and then taking the left projector. Srednicki suggests that the momentum space propagator can be immediately read off as $$-P_L \frac{\cancel{p}}{p^2}$$ and this can be found in Chapter 75 of his book on chiral gauge theories and anomalies. However, this may be misleading since projectors are not invertible, so it may be necessary to compute the 2-point correlator or Green's function. The propagator is defined to act
Siupa
I have this Lagrangian for a free massless left Weyl spinor, so it’s just the kinetic term, that can be written embedding the field into a larger Dirac spinor and then taking the left projector in this way:
$$i \bar{\psi} \cancel{\partial} P_L \psi$$
Srednicki says that the momentum space propagator can be immediately read off as
$$-P_L \frac{\cancel{p}}{p^2}$$
I don't understand how this can be immediately guessed just by looking at that kinetic term. The propagator should be the inverse of the operator between the fields in the quadratic term, but ##P_L## being a projector can't be inverted

Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
Which page?
I searched for "immediately" in the pre-draft of his book http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/ms-qft-DRAFT.pdf

The propagator is not strictly an "inverse", it is a green's function
Chapter 75, "Chiral gauge theories and anomalies", page 458. It says "We can easily read the Feynman rules off of..." (the word "immediately" was not present, apologies).

I know I can take the long way and compute the 2-point correlator / Green's function, but the wording "easily read off" suggests there's a shortcut or rule of thumb for writing it down just by looking at the quadratic term.

Now, the quick way I know of doing this just by looking at the quadratic term is to take the inverse of the operator sandwiched between the fields. But this here in my opinion fails, because ##P_L## is not invertible.

How does he do it then if not in this way?

You mean because ##P_L P_L \neq I##?

I will get back to you later, need to reread that chapter.

malawi_glenn said:
You mean because ##P_L P_L \neq I##?
Not only that, ##P_L^{-1}## isn't even defined since projectors aren't invertible (the kernel is not trivial)

Likes gentzen
Have you done the propgator yourself the "hard way"? I.e performing the fourier transform

Likes topsquark
It's a bit misleading. You can formulate the Weyl field as the corresponding 2D spinor (there are two types of Weyl spinors, representing massless spin 1/2 particles, left-handed and right-handed ones). Then no projection operator occurs. What's done here is to use Dirac fields and only consider the left-handed part. The propagator is defined to act on the effectively two-component spinor ##\hat{P}_{\text{L}} \psi##, where ##\psi## is a Dirac spinor (or "bispinor").

Likes topsquark and malawi_glenn
malawi_glenn said:
Have you done the propgator yourself the "hard way"? I.e performing the fourier transform

I didn't, I hoped I could understand how to write it down immediately without doing the formal computation

vanhees71 said:
It's a bit misleading. You can formulate the Weyl field as the corresponding 2D spinor (there are two types of Weyl spinors, representing massless spin 1/2 particles, left-handed and right-handed ones). Then no projection operator occurs. What's done here is to use Dirac fields and only consider the left-handed part. The propagator is defined to act on the effectively two-component spinor ##\hat{P}_{\text{L}} \psi##, where ##\psi## is a Dirac spinor (or "bispinor").
I understand all this, but how does one arrive at that final form of the propagator based on these considerations? For example, how does one know if the ##P_L## needs to be to the right or to the left of the gamma matrix in the end? (I guess it should be on the left by inspection if one checks that ##O^{-1}O## acutally equals the identity on the subspace of left-handed Dirac spinors)

It should be to the left, because you have to project to the left-handed piece of ##p_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu} P_L \psi##. The free Weyl-spinor equation for the left-handed field reads
$$\mathrm{i} (\partial_0 - \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) \psi_L=0.$$
The corresponding propagator fulfills
$$\mathrm{i} (\partial_0 - \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) G(x)=-\delta(x).$$
Translated to Fourier space
$$(p^0-\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) \tilde{G}=1$$
and thus
$$\tilde{G}=\frac{p^0+\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma}}{p^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
Often one defines
$$(\sigma^{\mu})=(\hat{1}_2,\vec{\sigma}), \quad \bar{\sigma}^{\mu}=(\hat{1}_2,-\vec{\sigma}).$$
Then you have
$$\tilde{G}=\frac{p_{\mu} \sigma^{\mu}}{p^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
For the right-handed field you just have to interchange ##\sigma^{\mu}## with ##\bar{\sigma}^{\mu}##.

• Love
Likes dextercioby, Siupa, topsquark and 1 other person
vanhees71 said:
It should be to the left, because you have to project to the left-handed piece of ##p_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu} P_L \psi##. The free Weyl-spinor equation for the left-handed field reads
$$\mathrm{i} (\partial_0 - \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) \psi_L=0.$$
The corresponding propagator fulfills
$$\mathrm{i} (\partial_0 - \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) G(x)=-\delta(x).$$
Translated to Fourier space
$$(p^0-\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) \tilde{G}=1$$
and thus
$$\tilde{G}=\frac{p^0+\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma}}{p^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
Often one defines
$$(\sigma^{\mu})=(\hat{1}_2,\vec{\sigma}), \quad \bar{\sigma}^{\mu}=(\hat{1}_2,-\vec{\sigma}).$$
Then you have
$$\tilde{G}=\frac{p_{\mu} \sigma^{\mu}}{p^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
For the right-handed field you just have to interchange ##\sigma^{\mu}## with ##\bar{\sigma}^{\mu}##.
Thank you!

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a propagator of massless Weyl field?

A propagator of massless Weyl field is a mathematical term used in quantum field theory to describe the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another in space and time. It represents the fundamental building block for calculating the behavior of massless Weyl particles.

2. How is the propagator of massless Weyl field calculated?

The propagator of massless Weyl field is calculated using the Feynman propagator, which is a mathematical formula that takes into account the mass and energy of the particle, as well as the distance between its initial and final positions.

3. What is the significance of the propagator of massless Weyl field?

The propagator of massless Weyl field is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of massless particles, such as photons, in quantum field theory. It is also used in calculations for the interactions between particles and fields.

4. How does the propagator of massless Weyl field relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The propagator of massless Weyl field is a key component of the Standard Model, which is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It helps to explain the behavior of massless particles, such as photons, in the context of the Standard Model.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the propagator of massless Weyl field?

While the propagator of massless Weyl field is primarily used in theoretical physics, it has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and particle accelerator technology. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of massless particles in high-energy physics experiments.