Understanding Spacetime Diagrams | Basics Explained

In summary, the Spacetime diagrams seem to be the most used explanation for relativity weirdness, so I’d like some clarification in how to make them, it anyone wants to help.
Grasshopper
Gold Member
Spacetime diagrams seem to be the most used explanation for relativity weirdness, so I’d like some clarification in how to make them, it anyone wants to help.

(1) Light’s worldline is 45 degrees, obviously. No issues there, I don’t think.

(2) How do I determine the angles of the moving frame? I would imagine it is related to v/c. Maybe c/v.

(3) How do I determine the size of the tick marks on the moving frame? This, I assume, must be related to the Lorentz factor.

I’m sure there are brainless ways to do it. And I could probably find it through google. But I trust this community more than a random internet search.

Thanks to all replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down a point an event on the ##t'## axis and inverse Lorentz transform it to get its ##x,t## coordinates. Ditto the ##x'## axis. Repeat for a few points events (or just write it generally in the first place) to confirm the axes are straight lines.

Useful thing to consider: as you vary ##v## what path does ##x,t## trace out?

Last edited:
Likes Grasshopper
Ibix said:
Write down a point on the ##t'## axis and inverse Lorentz transform it to get its ##x,t## coordinates. Ditto the ##x'## axis. Repeat for a few points (or just write it generally in the first place) to confirm the axes are straight lines.

Useful thing to consider: as you vary ##v## what path does ##x,t## trace out?
My guess is that it’s a hyperbola, although this is based only on the algebra of the Lorentz factor. I will have to test this when I get my calculator though.

But you’re answer actually seems kind of obvious in hindsight. Lorentz transforming would clearly give the correct values.

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
Your guess is correct.

Minkowski diagrams are, indeed, incredibly simple. Once you get that "events move along a hyperbola when boosted" thing into your head, and remember which direction they move when boosted by ##\pm v##, they're a very good way of visualising how a Lorentz boost is going to come out before you do the maths.

If you've got a device with a mouse rather than a touchscreen, my old animated Minkowski diagram tool (ibises.org.uk/Minkowski.html) let's you sketch scenarios and then animate boosts. If you only have a touchscreen the UI doesn't work so well, but you can still see canned diagrams (click buttons near the bottom of the page) and boost them. There's a diagram of hyperbolae, which you can watch being invariant (analogous to concentric circles under rotation in Euclidean geometry).

Likes vanhees71 and Grasshopper
It turns out that you don't need to explicitly draw a hyperbola.
Instead, with one corner fixed at the center of the hyperbola, draw equal-area "[causal] diamonds", which are parallelograms with edges parallel to the light cone.

The timelike diagonal is along the worldline with a chosen velocity.
The spacelike diagonal is along the line of simultaneity for that worldline.
The stretching and shrinking factor of the reshaped diamond is the Doppler factor, k.
The diamonds are the spacetime-diagrams of light clocks.

Visit my PF Insights:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/spacetime-diagrams-light-clocks/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/relativity-rotated-graph-paper/

This links to an early draft of my paper and a link to the published version:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1111.7254

Interactive visualizations are useful to get an intuition.
Here are some I made:
For more emphasis on hyperbolas (and "circles"), here are some I did in Desmos (where you can more easily see the underlying equations):
Use the E-slider to the geometric analogies from a circle (in Euclidean geometry), a Galilean-circle (in Galilean relativity), and a hyperbola (in Special Relativity)

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a spacetime diagram?

A spacetime diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time in a specific event or scenario. It is commonly used in physics and astronomy to visualize the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

2. How do you read a spacetime diagram?

In a spacetime diagram, time is represented on the vertical axis while space is represented on the horizontal axis. The slope of a line on the diagram represents the velocity of an object, and the steeper the slope, the faster the object is moving. The diagonal line at a 45-degree angle represents the speed of light, which is constant in all reference frames.

3. What is the purpose of a spacetime diagram?

The purpose of a spacetime diagram is to visualize and understand the effects of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction. It can also be used to analyze the relationship between different reference frames and the effects of relative motion.

4. How does a spacetime diagram relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. A spacetime diagram helps to illustrate this concept by showing how the perception of time and space can differ for observers in different reference frames.

5. Can a spacetime diagram be used for events in everyday life?

While spacetime diagrams are commonly used in physics and astronomy, they can also be applied to events in everyday life. For example, a spacetime diagram can be used to visualize the effects of time dilation in GPS systems or the relationship between space and time in a car accident reconstruction.